Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB driver missing  (Read 11871 times)

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

USB driver missing
    « on: August 25, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
    hello I recently got a computer from my neighbor and I found out that none of my usb devices work. they do connect but it doesn't register on the computer. I tried going to device manager and the usb option isn't there so I tired going to bios integrated peripherals but the usb options weren't there either. is there anyway to get the drivers to work?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: USB driver missing
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
    Any other errors in device manager? Did you install the OS? If so, did you install the chipset driver?

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »
      I don't get any notifications at all when plugging in a usb device. and I don't have a disc for the OS

my apologies for some reason when replying the page stopped loading then went to new topic when i refreshed ???

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »
      I tired going to bios integrated peripherals but the usb options weren't there either

Are you sure?
      Have you tried loading the default settings in BIOS?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »
        Yeah I did that first and went back a second time, nothing. :-\

JJ 3000

Egghead
        « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:26:46 AM »
        What's the brand and model of this computer? What operating system?

Can you ask your neighbor if he ever had any problems with the usb?
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 04:51:23 AM »
        Any other errors in device manager? Did you install the OS? If so, did you install the chipset driver?

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:54:49 PM »
          What's the brand and model of this computer? What operating system?

Can you ask your neighbor if he ever had any problems with the usb?

I'm unsure of both, the computer is pretty old, it only had XP SP1 installed when they gave it to me but I recently updated to SP3.

They never had any use for the usb ports

I don't get any notifications at all when plugging in a usb device. and I don't have a disc for the OS

my apologies for some reason when replying the page stopped loading then went to new topic when i refreshed ???

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
            is there anyone who can help, this is a pretty big problem for me.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
            Did you install the OS? If so, did you install the chipset driver?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
              Let's try another approach! When you were given the computer did you have to install an operating system on it in order to use it or did you just continue to use it with the O/S that your neigbour was using? The answer seems to be contained in your comment "it only had XP SP1 installed when they gave it to me but I recently updated to SP3." Therefore i am wondering why the preoccupation by allan and patio re an O/S and chipset drivers. Presumably other than updating the service pack from 1 to 3 it is the original O/S and other than the USB issue is performing adequately.Am i missing something here? truenorth
              P.S. After initial reply did some research on your behalf and came across this:

Try this:

Make sure that your Plug-and-Play Service is working and is running Automatically.

START >RUN > type services.msc

Once that is determined as Running | AUTOMATIC

Go to MyComputer > Right-Click PROPERTIES> Device Manager > scroll down to bottom where it says UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLER.

Right-Click 2 or 3 (depending on how many USB ports your computer has)
               USB Root HUB > Uninstall --> CONFIRM DEVICE UNINSTALL [OK]

SHUTDOWN the computer. Wait a minute. RESTART.

If you have SP3 installed, it will automatically find USB2 driver. In rare case you will have to manually re-direct the driver location (as I recently did ~ 4weeks ago)
              Credit to the following forum:
              http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/thread/01d2c9e8-1c9a-4550-84b6-86240b0fcf4d

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

I don't have a disc for the OS I've said this twice, I also installed the chipset driver and still got nothing.

Let's try another approach! When you were given the computer did you have to install an operating system on it in order to use it or did you just continue to use it with the O/S that your neigbour was using? The answer seems to be contained in your comment "it only had XP SP1 installed when they gave it to me but I recently updated to SP3." Therefore i am wondering why the preoccupation by allan and patio re an O/S and chipset drivers. Presumably other than updating the service pack from 1 to 3 it is the original O/S and other than the USB issue is performing adequately.Am i missing something here? truenorth

thanks. the OS was already installed i updated it to sp3. yeah everything works just fine just the usb that isn't working.

P.S. After initial reply did some research on your behalf and came across this:

Try this:

Make sure that your Plug-and-Play Service is working and is running Automatically.

START >RUN > type services.msc

Once that is determined as Running | AUTOMATIC

Go to MyComputer > Right-Click PROPERTIES> Device Manager > scroll down to bottom where it says UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLER.

Right-Click 2 or 3 (depending on how many USB ports your computer has)
                 USB Root HUB > Uninstall --> CONFIRM DEVICE UNINSTALL [OK]

SHUTDOWN the computer. Wait a minute. RESTART.

If you have SP3 installed, it will automatically find USB2 driver. In rare case you will have to manually re-direct the driver location (as I recently did ~ 4weeks ago)
                Credit to the following forum:
                http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/thread/01d2c9e8-1c9a-4550-84b6-86240b0fcf4d

ok I just bolded and underline where I have a problem, when I go to device manager as I mentioned before universal serial bus controller isn't there. if it helps any, when I look at it through pc wizard the USB Bus isn't there same with the Bios the USB options aren't there.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
                  I believe at this point you need to answer this question posed earlier by jj3000 "What's the brand and model of this computer?". Given that you said it is very old it may well be to start with that it will NOT allow the use of 2.0 USB devices as it may have only been capable of 1.0 . Sometimes a 2.0 device will operate on 1.0 usb ports and sometime they won't. I don't believe that if they are 1.0 that they can be upgraded to 2.0. To determine your brand and model of computer try an Everest scan and see what it brings up on that score.
                  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml
                  truenorth
                  Here is another link that deals with a missing serial bus controller:
                  Set defaults in BIOS to enable USB Controllers
                  I had exactly the same problem , when I reinstalled Windows XP(SP2) on my friend's computer:
                  USB Controllers were not listed in Device Manager.
                  It was MDG system with Intel's integrated motherboard.
                  I think integrated motherboard caused the problem.
                  I was reinstalling Windows from desk top maker's CD.
                  They recommend to install chipset driver and BIOS update first thing after complete reinstall,
                  but that did not resolve the issue.
                  I spent almost 2 days trying to find solution. I searched Google and tried everything I found on differnet forums and Microsoft website, installing .NET Framework and other available updates. Nothing worked.
                  I knew I had to re-enable USB in BIOS.
                  But when in BIOS, I could not modify entry for USB, it did not allow me to do that.
                  I was not allowed to select USB on Advanced tab.
                  SO I just selected Set Defaults (F9), and immediately I could see that USB was enabled. I saved and restarted the computer...
                  The problem was resolved. After restart, the system found USB controllers and installed them.
                  PS : Microsoft claims the problem can be resolved by installing Windows updates, but it never did.
                  I noticed this problem is quite "popular". I personally went through 20 or more sites.
                  PS: another workaround: to buy separate USB (2 or 4 ports) card, if 1st solution does not help.
                  Good luck! I know what you feel!

Credit to: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51916-45-controller-missing-device-manager

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Computer: Specs
                  « Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »
                  I don't have a disc for the OS I've said this twice, I also installed the chipset driver and still got nothing.
                  I was actually going to point this out as well, it would be difficult for you to install an OS when you don't have the disc!

I believe at this point you need to answer this question posed earlier by jj3000 "What's the brand and model of this computer?".
                  I concur. To a point. You see, regardless of how old the machine is, it clearly has USB ports, and the fact that nothing in Device manager indicates USB ports existing is the problem. It has nothing to do with "versioning" issues between their devices and the ports as much as it has to do with the fact that the Computer essentially ignores the ports completely (on account of not having a driver loading for them, why such a driver isn't loading could be due to of course being disabled in the BIOS)
                  Sometimes a 2.0 device will operate on 1.0 usb ports and sometime they won't. I don't believe that if they are 1.0 that they can be upgraded to 2.0.
                  USB 1.0 has not been used since 1996, and even then it was only on a handful of models. "1.1" is the one you are thinking of. USB is backward compatible by definition. Some devices won't work properly without the higher bandwidth of USB 2.0 but there is nothing in the spec saying that USB 1.1 host controllers are completely invisible to the computer and that it ignores any USB device plugged into it, since that would be quite useless.

Set defaults in BIOS to enable USB Controllers
                  I tend to believe this may be the case. There is another possibility I will get to in a moment, but for now it would seem that the functionality is for whatever reason disabled in the BIOS itself. I would imagine the reason you cannot find it STK is because they have a tendency to give them completely nondescript names.
                  installing .NET Framework and other available updates. Nothing worked.
                  I'm being a slight pedant but I thought I should point this out: if anybody recommends fixing what appears to be a hardware/driver issue by updating the .NET framework... walk away. They are talking out their keester!

I'll summarize Truenorth's post:

In the BIOS setup, use the option to reset everything to their defaults.

There is another, slight possibility. Some USB host controllers were literally incompatible with Windows XP and were blacklisted by the kernel so that they will never be used. This was because the hardware didn't properly conform to USB specifications as well as various issues that caused all sorts of curious issues (blue screens, hard freezes) and so forth as a result. This was mostly isolated to VIA Host Controllers, but these were rather popular for a number of motherboard manufacturers for USB 1.1 functionality. They worked fine in Windows 98SE, but were entirely incompatible with XP. I don't think that's the case here, but it's a possibility (I don't think so, since it would generally show up as a disabled device)
                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                  « Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »
                  SO I just selected Set Defaults (F9), and immediately I could see that USB was enabled. I saved and restarted the computer...
                  The problem was resolved. After restart, the system found USB controllers and installed them.

We've already been through that. Check out replies number 3 and 4.
                  Save a Life!
                  Adopt a homeless pet.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
                    Ok now I'm really reaching on this one (while waiting for the O/P to tell us what model/brand of computer we are dealing with).If it is as stated"the computer is pretty old" then is it possible that the original O/S was NOT XP but W98? If so and the O/P has the access would it help anything to do a double boot with win98  as the other O/S.Then see if the USB ports will show up in the Win98 configuration. Or will that have no affect on the fact that the Host Controllers are not present? Please don't laugh if this is ridiculous --just say so i can take it. ;D truenorth

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
                      maybe this can help?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
                      Ok now I'm really reaching on this one (while waiting for the O/P to tell us what model/brand of computer we are dealing with).If it is as stated"the computer is pretty old" then is it possible that the original O/S was NOT XP but W98?
                      It's quite certain, actually... Well, either that, or it came with W2K.

If so and the O/P has the access would it help anything to do a double boot with win98  as the other O/S.Then see if the USB ports will show up in the Win98 configuration.
                      It could eliminate my unlikely theory that Windows XP purposely disabled them. I highly doubt that is the case... also, this would mean they need a windows 98 Disc.

Or will that have no affect on the fact that the Host Controllers are not present? Please don't laugh if this is ridiculous --just say so i can take it. ;D truenorth

;D I'm going to have to say, it's very strange that the Host Controllers essentially don't exist. I'd like to revise my "theory" based on the new evidence (specifically, that PC Wizard 2010 states USB Bus:No).

If there is, without a doubt, no USB setting in the BIOS. Then except in the rare case where such an option is enabled/disabled through a jumper, there very well may not be any USB functionality. Sure, it could have the header block installed, but unless it's plugged into a USB header, it's not going to do much.

But I don't think this is very likely. Most motherboards since 1996 have at least USB 1.1 built in. It could be a hardware problem- but then the options would be in the BIOS screen. A most curious issue this is.

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »
                        well the problem I'm having is that whatever I connect seems to appear as if it's working when it doesn't. like for example if I plugged in an ipod it'll start charging (well appear to charge, it never actually charges the battery -_-) but nothing happens on the computer. and yes i'm positive there's no option in bios, no section in device manager nothing appears on pc manager either like in the pics i posted.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
                        well the problem I'm having is that whatever I connect seems to appear as if it's working when it doesn't. like for example if I plugged in an ipod it'll start charging (well appear to charge, it never actually charges the battery -_-) but nothing happens on the computer. and yes i'm positive there's no option in bios, no section in device manager nothing appears on pc manager either like in the pics i posted.

Well I can  honestly say this has me stumped.

STK2010

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
                          Well I can  honestly say this has me stumped.

yeah the words *censored* couldn't have come to my mind any stronger...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 07:00:14 AM »
                            Well i must also confess bowing to BC's far superior knowledge i too am stumped.However if you do have the access to a win98 O/S i would be curious to know if that changed things. I have disks back to win95 but unfortunately that won't help you. I sure hate throwing in the towel.truenorth

JJ 3000

Egghead
                            « Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
                            If the USB isn't recognized by BIOS then no operating system will find it.

STK, you could try flashing your BIOS.
                            http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Why-and-How-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/

Be careful with this. If you do it wrong, your computer will become a unusable. According to your PC Wizard screenshot, you have AWARD BIOS.
                            Save a Life!
                            Adopt a homeless pet.