Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: with 0 computer skill- can I upgrade my laptop's memory??  (Read 4896 times)

Darwin Botts

Topic Starter

Starter

with 0 computer skill- can I upgrade my laptop's memory??
    « on: August 26, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »
    Hi everyone! Thank you for letting me join your website!  :)

About me: I'm a good "button clicker". I just click on as many things on my computer. Like to look on the internet for all sorts of things. I'm on the internet more than I watch TV! LOL
    Want to try and learn about computers. Don't know anything about computers or websites or programming but I can say I've typed probably over 1,000 things into google!

My computer:

Company: Gateway
     Model-  T-6314u
     Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R)   Dual CPU   T3400   @2.16 GHz        2.17 GHz
     Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
     System Type: 32-bit Operating System

--------------------------------------------------------

I just went to ummm Start -->Control Panel --->  System and Maintenance --->System    then I just
    typed that stuff in up top.

Right now my computer when  I go to       Start--->Computer   the umm

OS(C:)
    The bar indicating how much memory I have left. The bar is red!  It says    12.6 GB free of 139 GB!!

That's why I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my computer's memory but I don't know how.

Heh never even bought the screwdrivers that people use on computers to take it apart yet. 

Thank you for letting me post here today! And thank you for everything!   

PS: I don't know how to upload pictures. How can I put a link that EVERYONE knows is SAFE? Because I always hear about picture links people click on to a virus website!! Thanks again!!

0 computer skills here! Sorry for my useless posts ><

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: with 0 computer skill- can I upgrade my laptop's memory??
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
    I think that's hard drive space, not memory usage. You might want to consider either upgrading to a larger drive or, even better, just adding a second hd.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:38 AM »
    Company: Gateway
     Model-  T-6314u
     Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R)   Dual CPU   T3400   @2.16 GHz        2.17 GHz
     Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

The bar indicating how much memory I have left. The bar is red!  It says    12.6 GB free of 139 GB!!

That's why I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my computer's memory but I don't know how.

You're confusing the issue by not using correct terminology.  You have 2GB of memory.  Your drive C has 139GB of hard drive space; this is not "memory", it's hard drive space.

And, yes, your free hard drive space, the "12.6 GB free of 139 GB", is getting a bit tight.  Do you have a clear understanding of what is taking so much space on your hard drive?  Is it photos, videos, or what? 

Do you ever run Windows Disk Cleanup utility?  If not, run it and let it remove some unneeded files from your hard drive.  Let us know how much difference that made in hard drive free space.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
    140G drive would need approx 21G Free space for Windows to run properly...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
    Since you have much activities browsing on different websites(exploring) and wanting to upgrade/add hard drive(with little allocation left)base on your current status, I think its more practical to purchase a portable external hard drive. To the point of having the advantage to back-up certain or important files in case your computer system crash or is hit by any virus, malware and spyware. An external hard drive will keep all your files clean assuming that your computer right now is virus-free once you back them all up. It's also just a plug-in device that will not keep you twirling and asking about how to and what then... Just make sure that the device is compatible with your computer.   

Darwin Botts

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »
      Wow! Thank you for the FAST responses! I waited until the end of the day to see if
      anyone would respond. Next time I should check after 5 minutes! Wow!!

@Allan -  Sorry for confusing my words. I didn't mean to. I don't know
                    how to go about a new HD. Or anything advanced like it. 
                                                         Thank you Allan!!

@Soybean- I don't understand the difference between "memory" and "hard drive".
                    Thought it was considered all the same. I'm sorry Soybean.

I typed in your idea of "Windows Disk Cleanup". It says this:
                       -----------------------------------------
                         *Dowloaded Program files  3.75 MB
                         *Temporary Internet files 291 MB
                         *Hibernation File Cleaner 1.98 GB
                         *Microsoft Office Temporary Files 333 KB
                         *Old Chkdsk files 61.6 KB
                         *Recycle Bin 4.08 GB
                         *System error dump files  653 KB
                         *Temporary Files 265 KB
                         *Temporary Synch Files 1.98 GB
                         *Thumbnails 11.0 MB
                         *Per user archived Windows Error Report  704 KB
                         *Per user queued Windows Error report 642 MB
                         *System archived Windows Error Report
                         *System queued Windows Error Reporting 1.93 MB

"You can use Disk Cleanup to free up 8.08 GB of disk space on OS(C:)."

-----------------------------------------------

I wish there was a program that I could easily that can analyze
                   how much memory the different "sections" like "Your Documents" 50 GB
                   then "Your Programs" 100 GB.

Wish there was a program like that around. To show to me where I am
                   taking up so much space. Honestly I have MANY MANY computer programs.
                   Not really that many documents? I think. I mean I have video yes and
                   photos. Though that's not 100% of my computer. I really really don't
                   think video and photos are the problem. Again I don't truly know either.

Thank you for your great idea too Soybean. And everything you posted!!!

@Patio -  @_@    Windows Vista needs 21 GB free? Really? Because I admit
                                my laptop is not "SUPER" fast like when I first got it. Had
                                it 1 year ago. There's about maybe a 1 second or maybe at worst
                                2 or 3 second delay now when I click on things. Though
                                its not "SLOW" either. Seems pretty normal to me? Guess
                                that's the "useless" in me.  heh.
                                                                      Thank you Patio!

@Jason 2074 - "Portable external harddrive"? What? I thought harddrives
                              are INSIDE a computer only! Get out of here! That's like
                              saying people carry around "External Monitors" for there
                              laptops to see HD movies ! LOL

Thank you Jason 2074!       

PS: Does anyone still know about how to SAFELY show a picture link?? I enjoy posting pictures but I know
      people can get a virus from clicking onto a website. A safe way to say "This is just a picture that's about my computer. Safe".  A  picture validation link???
      0 computer skills here! Sorry for my useless posts ><

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
       "You can use Disk Cleanup to free up 8.08 GB of disk space on OS(C:)."
      That's a pretty good chunk of space you can free; certainly a good start to trying to get free space.

taking up so much space. Honestly I have MANY MANY computer programs.
      Not really that many documents? I think. I mean I have video yes and
      photos. Though that's not 100% of my computer. I really really don't
      think video and photos are the problem. Again I don't truly know either.
      Aside from looking at the size of your folders in Explorer, you can also see the approximate size of the programs you have installed. In control panel, the "Programs and Features" item, (or "Add or Remove Programs" in win7) shows the size of each application. It may be that there is a large application installed that you either never heard of or never use. Couldn't hurt to check.

Another thing you can try is a program like WinDirStat Which can show you graphically where your biggest files and folders are. I find it invaluable when I go on a cleanup rampage myself.

@Patio -  @_@    Windows Vista needs 21 GB free? Really? Because I admit
                                my laptop is not "SUPER" fast like when I first got it. Had
                                it 1 year ago. There's about maybe a 1 second or maybe at worst
                                2 or 3 second delay now when I click on things. Though
                                its not "SLOW" either. Seems pretty normal to me? Guess
                                that's the "useless" in me.  heh.
                                                                      Thank you Patio!
      replace "needs" with "works best with". There is no concrete amount of space that windows requires, personally I ran XP with about 20MB free on the system drive (almost nothing). Some programs had trouble, but because my pagefile (the big file that windows uses to save stuff that programs haven't used for a while, so that it can use the actual memory for something more productive.) was on C: and was already established, I didn't have any other problems. Of course very few programs let me install them until I cleaned out some room on C:, because they always want to install stuff to the system drive even if you say to install to another drive.

@Jason 2074 - "Portable external harddrive"? What? I thought harddrives
       are INSIDE a computer only! Get out of here! That's like
       saying people carry around "External Monitors" for there
       laptops to see HD movies ! LOL
      This is a hard drive... well, with the top cover removed. just pretend it has a metal cover over top of the exciting bits there:

Personally, I have them lying all over the place. I have two USB "enclosures" which allow me to access these standard Hard drives on any of my computers as removable devices (they basically become portable hard drives). They aren't even close to the size of a monitor so your analogy is a tad flawed there :P.

PS: Does anyone still know about how to SAFELY show a picture link?? I enjoy posting pictures but I know
      people can get a virus from clicking onto a website. A safe way to say "This is just a picture that's about my computer. Safe".  A  picture validation link???

I haven't a clue what you mean.  ???

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
        It would not serve you well to point out that certain things you are amazed about are in fact readily achievable. If as stated you are at the beginning of the process of acquiring computer knowledge/skills then we here at the CH forums want to encourage you do do so. It is clearly obvious that as earlier stated your computer is either in need of some serious housecleaning (to get more hard-drive space available) and/or you need to increase your "storage" capacity. There are a number of ways to achieve both objectives. There is also a way to determine the various files on your computer and how much each file is occupying on the HDD. If all the issues relating to your current problem with diminished HDD capacity plus the other issues you are now aware of (and undoubtedly the countless others that will arise as more of your thoughts turn to information we can provide) first it would be daunting and secondly it would require a response in the nature of a book. We can and will assist you with specific issues but i suggest that you use your obvious "google " skills to learn more about computers and how they work.If you have the owners manual that came with your laptop that is a good place to start. Would you like to begin with some basics to get rid of some of the trash loading your HDD?truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »
        ...Does anyone still know about how to SAFELY show a picture link?? I enjoy posting pictures but I know people can get a virus from clicking onto a website. A safe way to say "This is just a picture that's about my computer. Safe".  A  picture validation link???
        I think you want UBB Code Tags:  *SPAM*.com/ubbs/ubbcode.html
        Go ahead & click the link above.
        Here's one from the Computer Hope header at the top of these pages.

BTW, empty the Recycle Bin, with that much trash, it must stink!!
        Deleting something doesn't get rid of it.  You've got to empty the trash once in a while.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
          Just a small sidebar here. Have a look at this O/P,s other post over on the "other" forum.truenorth

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:03 AM »

taking up so much space.
          You could try DiskPie

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »