Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mac book pro question  (Read 11214 times)

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
mac book pro question
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
a friend of mine is wanting to use Autodesk Revit on his mac and he asked me to install it under xp under a bootcamp partition. my question is this, he lost his driver DVD is there some way for me to find the PRO's drivers on the apple web site? As far as i could tell there is not a driver section like on HP's support site. Am i just missing the sub-menu on the site? All help is appreciated
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: mac book pro question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
a friend of mine is wanting to use Autodesk Revit on his mac and he asked me to install it under xp under a bootcamp partition. my question is this, he lost his driver DVD is there some way for me to find the PRO's drivers on the apple web site? As far as i could tell there is not a driver section like on HP's support site. Am i just missing the sub-menu on the site? All help is appreciated
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL967

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:13:38 AM »
This might have all the drivers, I'm not sure though. it says that it supports the magic mouse and wireless keyboard, but im not sure that it has the drivers for the airport extreme card adn other drivers such as these. i guess all i can do is to test it out. Thanks for the help Bc. I'll post the results either way.
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

mariel1982

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 03:54:51 AM »
I'm also thinking about buying the mac book pro.

Who has experience with the mac book pro?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:15:42 AM »
I've got a 15" MBP. What is it you would like to know?

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:37:59 AM »
Well the question is kind of moot now, Autodesk has released a AutoCad in a Mac format now. My OP was asking if there was a site that i could get the mac drivers for. The reason that i asked this was because i was going to use the mac partion program to repartition into a dual boot system. We installed Cad for his mac a few days ago so problem not really solved but kind of solved as well (if that makes any sense)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »
Mac drivers to run Windows AutoCad on Mac? Not possible.

You can have a go at Parallels, VirtualBox or Bootcamp.

...Or purchase the Mac version of AutoCad. ;)

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
I understood that, what i meant was where could i find the drivers to the HW for the mac. i was going to use a dual boot with WIN xp but i didn't have all the necessary drivers so i didn't attempt it with parts of what i needed missing.  That is what ended up happening actually, i went to the student site entered my school password and downloaded Cad for Mac. I was just wondering what site i could use for the drivers Ie video card, HDD, etc.

burnett33

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »
As far as I understand you need to get your hands on an install DVD for the MBP and update the drivers from there. If you can't get your hands on one you could of course try downloading a disc image via a filesharing site, but you do this at your own risk. OS 10.6, also known as Snow Leopard, is actually only about $30 to buy and is a big improvement on 10.5. You could always go to an Apple Store or buy it online. I think using Disc Utility, which is on the install disc, would verify your disc permissions and identify the missing drivers. Alternatively you could do a fresh installation.

Hope this helps.

OpenSource

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
    Try driveragent.com.  You have to pay for it but it's well worth your trouble.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents

johnc6922

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:38 AM »
    you need to get the install dvd, this will guide you through everything

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
    Scratch that. Do NOT pay for drivers.

I understand what you mean now. What you have to do is boot into Windows and run the setup on the Mac CDs that came with the machine. Apple has a setup built onto the disk to install drivers on Windows partitions.

Look at step 18 below:
    http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15/using-boot-camp-to-install-windows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 01:57:07 PM »
    I understood that from an avid Mac user that i talked to, he did the IT for the school i graduated from. Thats just my problem my friend doesn't have the install cd's that came with the Mac. Which is why i was asking. The next question i have is, is there a way to make a driver cd or something like one for a Windows install? Or do I have to have a Mac cd to do the install?

Bakerthomas

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »
    I use to work for apple tech support. I would recoment calling them and they can walk you through step by step what to do to get that back. I not make an appointment at the genius bar and they will do it for you.

Laura1

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
    I bought a mac book pro about 2 years ago and I love it. I have never been that good with computers PC's, but I bought this mac and I love it.