Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! - Recovery Tool For Outlook?  (Read 3317 times)

huntingv

Help! - Recovery Tool For Outlook?
« on: July 28, 2005, 02:49:19 AM »
Greetings,

I only just found this forum and it looks excellent. :)

Does anyone know of a reliable recovery tool for Outlook?  The pc runs Millenium and Windows will have to be restored after a total crash (no backup).  I have seen a few recovery tools advertised but I was hoping someone could recommend which one is best.

Also, does anyone know of a free Outlook recovery tool?  I have not seen any mention of a free download.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

merlin_2

Re: Help! - Recovery Tool For Outlook?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 02:56:38 AM »
Nice website you have to! What is the problem with outlook!

huntingv

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 12:31:44 PM »
Hi Merlin,

Not sure if I can explain the problem fully because I am not a technical person and I don't use Millennium or Outlook myself but I'll try.  I am trying to help my daughter (it's her pc that crashed).

The problem, as far as I can make out from stuff I have read, was caused because my daughter used system restore instead of uninstall to get rid of some software that she had downloaded.  One day things went wrong and the system restore had disappeared.  It is only possible to start up in safe mode and we can't access Outlook from there because clicking on "start" doesn't work.

The PC helpline said the only thing to do was to reinstall everything from the original disc which would mean losing everything on the computer.  I managed to find a way to copy important document files onto floppy discs using dos commands, so that is ok.

What we want to do now is find a way to salvage the email contacts address book and saved emails which are in Outlook.  I have found sites that advertise backup software for Outlook but we're way past that stage.  I was hoping someone might know of a recovery tool for Outlook (preferably free).  I have been searching for days but, if such a tool does exist, I haven't managed to track it down.

Hope this makes sense.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 12:41:30 PM »
     huntingv....... Pardon the pun , but Merlin _2 is the wizzard when it come to Win ME .

Just a tip .......always use the ADD/Remove programs feature in the control panel to remove unwanted programs ........

You say that your system restore is totally non functional ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

huntingv

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 04:32:03 AM »
    Hi dl65,

It is totally non-functional, like it never existed in the first place.  I read somewhere that this happens with Millennium if you use system restore instead of uninstalling  programmes.  The article I read also said this situation is incurable!

uisquebeathus

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 07:20:26 AM »
    a backup tools or software may not work correctly as the files may have been overwritten during the system restore

This site has a smart giude to find the files:-

http://www.flexisoft.com/support/faq/faq05-email.htm
    follow the notes on there
    can you do a search for File types:-
    .pst  .pab  .wab
    NOTE their file pathways

copy to floppies, another drive or partition. then after the reinstallation copy them back into the same file path, outlook should then pick up from where it left of.

huntingv

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 09:55:22 AM »
     Hi uisquebeathus,

We can't get a start menu, so we can't use the flexisoft  instructions.  Also, I don't understand partitions and pathways (I am not at all technical) and this is one reason for looking for a recovery tool. :-[

Thanks for trying anyway.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 02:09:11 PM »
    Ok these are the options for you! has the pc any other problems beside outlook!type this in the msdos command prompt C:\>WINDOWS scanreg/fix.........this command will rebuild the regestry......ok.....or if you wish to take it back> you first switched it on......then loacate this folderC:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS   when you have found it<use search to find it>now scroll down the page .....you will see and called scanreg......next to it is  one called....SETUP......if you where to click this icon it will take your pc back to day you first fired it up......hang on this the good part....no file loss??Your choice is yours..... ;)
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 02:14:28 PM by merlin_2 »

huntingv

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 09:37:38 AM »
    Hi Merlin,

I tried scanreg/fix and got the following message:

"repairing C:WINDOWS\USER.DAT
    Not enough memory

There is not enough free conventional memory.

You may need to remark (REM) some device drivers from your CONFIG.SYS file.  Or, in your CONFIG.SYS, you may need to load the EMM386.EXE driver to load your other device drivers into Upper Memory Block using DEVICE HIGH = statements."

I'm afraid I have no idea what any of it means.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 01:36:44 PM »
    Restart pc hold down the f8 key.......and chose the option.....start windows by step by confirmation.......answer yes to all..........
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:37:00 PM by merlin_2 »

huntingv

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 07:33:59 AM »
    Hi Merlin,

Tried what you suggested.  

Got message: "validation failed for C:windows"

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 02:12:32 PM »
    When you mean a total crash! Do mean it will no enter the safe mode <f8> on boot >> or do you mean........you get an error message!.......did you try this solution>>if you wish to take it back> you first switched it on......then loacate this folder C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS   when you have found it<use search to find it>now scroll down the page .....you will see and called scanreg......next to it is  one called....SETUP......if you where to click this icon it will take your pc back to day you first fired it up......hang on this the good part....no file loss??Your choice is yours.....  
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 02:13:12 PM by merlin_2 »

venus_hunter

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 09:05:22 AM »
    Hi Merlin,  it's my computer. Thanks for your help so far.

I got as far as setting up Windows ME, then this error came up:

Generic Installer Error
    Message SU99407
    Add Reg = Processing error.
    [0x197]

The only option was to click OK, which stopped everything and brought up a black screen.

Any hope?

Thanks.

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 04:58:21 AM »
    These commands may sort it  setup /c   or scandisk.exe /all from the msdos prompt........is this an upgrade from win95/98.........is this a clean install???if so  use the format c:  then the fdisk command.....or if you have the recovery disks......use them!