Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HD Replacement and OS  (Read 2374 times)

Ricky58

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

HD Replacement and OS
    « on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
    Hello to All,

Not sure where to post this.

I have an HP laptop Pavillion DV5000 series, Mdl dv5215us, 32bit and I am in the process of replacing my 60GB HD with a WD320GB drive. Additionally, I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition as the OS with SP3. Just a little confused on the OS though as the system information says it is MS Windows Professional, but when I go to check this info in System Properties it says I am running Windows XP Media Edition?

I made PC recovery discs using the recovery disc creation program HP provided with the computer and made 21 discs. It would not let me use DVD.  Anyway, when I replaced the HD and reloaded the recovery discs it only took 20 of the 21 discs and the loading bar indicator in the program indicated that only 45% of the files were loaded from the discs. I think some of the files were corrupted and just didn’t load, so I received a NTLDR missing message. I have since ordered these discs from HP. My questions are as follows:

1.   Is the Windows XP Media Center Edition correct or is the XP Professional? Was one or the other upgraded?

2.   Since I will be using the HP recovery discs they are sending should I reformat the new HD since I tried to load files onto earlier to give me a clean start? I did not receive any disc with the new drive from Western Digital.  The drive is a Scorpio Blue PATA 320GB HD, model WD3200BEVERTL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

trevorpe

Beginner

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HD Replacement and OS
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
    Hi there,

I'm not sure about the Windows thing, I'm not familiar enough with the Media Center edition to help you.

As for the discs, the first thing I say to anyone that I'm working on their computer is "Do you have everything that is important backed up?"

I wouldn't count those recovery discs as backups if they didn't work.
    I, personally, back everything up manually (music, documents, videos, etc.) by putting them in a temporary folder and burning it to DVDs.  I reinstall all programs from scratch and copy paste all my files over.  However, I keep all my files in one folder which makes backups easier, but if you don't, it's very easy to miss something, especially things stored withing the program files folders.

If you have everything backed up and all important files are safely stored on a disc or some other media, you could probably wipe out any partitions that are on the disc and leave it completely unallocated, or format it to the filesystem used by what the disc will put on.  To be completely clear, leave the old hard disk untouched until your are positive you have everything you want off it.

Again, I'm not 100% sure on this, but aren't recovery discs just ghosting an image on the whole hard disk anyways?  It would wipe out any corrupted files on the hard disc anyways if that is the case (I believe so anyways).
    Trevor P.

Ricky58

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »
      Hi Trevor,

Apologies for nothing getting back sooner on this. I did back-up everything I wanted, which I needed to do anyway, before I got started.

The back-up/restore dics I made (22) took along time and didn't work and not having the original systems discs that came with my system, I had to order new ones from HP for $16. I got them the very next day. Wow!

Anyway, I swapped out the HD and reinstalled the OS and other programs sent to me by HP and everything went like clock work. I had to reinstall all of my other software and reinstall my other files I backed up. That took a long time to do. I have since installed an external Seagate Free Agent 500G drive and backup the entire HD automatically to avoid having to manually put everything back.

Lessons learned:

1. Never, never, never toss out, misplace or lose the systems discs that come with your computer.

2. Spend the money to get an external HD to back-up you complete system and set it automatic so you have a complete copy of all your files, pictures, DVD's, music, photos and programs.

3. Keep all of your software in a safe place... one that you will remember a few years done the road.

PS: I also increased the memory of my laptop too. Now I am good to go for another couple of years for around $200 plus my time.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
        Ricky58, My wife uses XP win media center on one of her computers and we recently investigated what is the relationship between that version and other XP versions. The consensus of opinion that we determined was that Media Center is actually XP Pro with certain enhancements in the audio/video component  of it. In all other regards it is Pro. truenorth

Ricky58

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »
          Thanks truenorth. I kinda thought so. That was the impression I got while doing research.

Thanks for you update.

Ricky58