Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacement fan info  (Read 2476 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Replacement fan info
    « on: September 17, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »
    I would like to replace my case and cpu fans with quieter models.  What info do I need to make sure I get the right size, etc, of fan.  How are the measurements and power calculated?  Any info appreciated.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Replacement fan info
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
    For the case fans I would check the width from one side to another and buy one the same size, just make sure the new one has the same plug on the end.

For the CPU one you should check the connection to the motherboard and more importantly, the CPU socket it is for.  You can usually find out the socket by looking up the model of your CPU on a search engine and then all you need to do is find a cooler that fits that socket.

Just make sure that you buy fans and a CPU cooler that have good performance and are quiet.  I'd get one from a big brand such as Antec/Coolermaster and many others.  Stay away from the no-name/strange brand ones.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:05:24 AM »
    When replacing fans...especially CPU fans i usually take the old ones with me to match them up.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
      Many thanks for replies and advice.