Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound card distortion help!  (Read 3142 times)

ellecass

Sound card distortion help!
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »
I recently purchased a new Dell desktop running Windows 7 64bit with an i7 980 3.33 ghz processor and 12 GB of RAM with a PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card.

It has the latest drivers, which I have uninstalled and reinstalled plenty of times, and works beautifully except for the odd random moments where it turns my audio robotic and twinkly, which I can only solve by unplugging my speaker jack and plugging it back in, or changing the speaker configuration from 2/2.1 to 7.1 or 5.1 and saving settings, or restarting the application that is playing sound - DVDs, itunes, the internet; everything is affected by it. I have also tried lowering the system volume as some forums suggested, but to no avail.

I've spent the last two days troubleshooting it in every conceivable direction, and it's pretty frustrating, and I can't seem to contact Creative because their measly email support form requires a serial number I can't access because when I take the screws out of my case it still seems cemented in place, so I can't access the sticker without taking a hammer to it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Sound card distortion help!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
I'd have Dell replace the sound card. If the problem is resolved by removing and replacing the speaker plug, that's a physical problem not a driver issue.