Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hardware for gaming  (Read 7213 times)

frankie69

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: hardware for gaming
    « Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 03:05:49 AM »
    thanks that helps heaps... will i get too many heat issues if i overclock the i7 in this machine to 2.5 ghz? can you tell me how overclockable it is with that motherboard and other hardware??

frankie69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 03:06:26 AM »
      will i get many benifits from the overclock?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »
      My computer has 8 gigs of ram. Would you say that's too much?

NO! I am just saying, that if you have a low budget then getting 4GB of RAM is plenty. If you have 8GB, that's great. I am not saying that it's bad to have 8GB.

And Windows 98 will use less resources then Windows XP, and windows 95 even fewer, and windows 3.1 even fewer.

Oh wait... but it won't use the available resources as good as it can? Neither would windows 98SE, nor windows XP (XP 32-bit would not be able to see more then 3.5GB of my 8GB of RAM).

I agree with you on everything < XP. There is no good reason for anyone to use that.

3.5GB is plenty for gaming. If your worried about not having enough space, just don't install a bunch of bloated programs that auto-start etc..
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
        « Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
        I seriously doubt you can overclock. Most, if not all laptops restrict overclocking for the obvious heat issue.

I understand the idea of a gaming laptop. Some people don't want to computers, or they want to have the mobility. That said, you will never get the same performance (dollar for dollar)  from a laptop as compared to a desktop.
        Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
        You won't be able to overclock your laptop.  Even if you could ... not a good idea.  Trust me.

frankie69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
          thaks for that everyone

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
          I'd max out the RAM if if you can afford it.

A lot of manufacturers underclock the CPU and the GPU to reduce heat and power consumption. If you overclock your laptop you will void the warranty. It looks like this "turbo mode" that you mentioned, is what you want to apply for games.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

Hearts on Fire

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
            Just remember that the higher your clock frequencies the more juice it will need, too—you'll kill your batteries quickly unless you're plugged into a wall socket or power strip. Also, considering the tight confines of a laptop case, overheating can be an issue, so I would only use the stock settings and any "turbo mode" feature it may have, like JJ said.

If you have space for a desktop and don't need to take your gaming rig everywhere with you like some kind of glorified GameBoy, though, you should really look into one of those instead as it's more powerful and economical. But it's not always practical for some people.

frankie69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
              i would buy a desktop but I'm off to uni (college for the Americans) next year and i want a machine that will do everything for me including spare time playing games on it, plus its nice to be able to have that maneuverability of a laptop... 

Hearts on Fire

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
                You pay a price premium for a laptop, but it may be worth it for the practicality of mobility. I don't know if you'd be able to run Crysis at any appreciable frame rate or setting, but it should do for most games: World of WarCraft, Heroes of Newerth, Team Fortress 2, probably StarCraft 2….

I'd look up a laptop that's in your price range, then Google a review for it and check out the benchmarks.

frankie69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »
                  of then thanks