Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm back - with the flickering graphics!  (Read 3588 times)

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    I'm back - with the flickering graphics!
    « on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
    Hey everyone, I posted here before - about a month ago - about not knowing if I had a temperature issue or a graphics card issue because I was having "jumpy" or flickering graphics while playing a graphic-heavy game and some temperatures inside my computer were unusually high.

Turned out someone noticed that there were burst capacitors on my mobo and was almost certain that that was the root of my problems. So I replaced the motherboard. Someone also suggested that my liquid cooling system may be failing - so I replaced that with a regular heatsink/fan. Things seemed to have been running fine for a few weeks until now - I'm having these flickering graphics and strange, high temps again.

I can't explain the jumpiness/flickering anymore than that. I'll be playing a game and the graphics will just shake/flicker. No artifacting, just flickering. Yesterday, I let the flickering go on to see what would happen, and my computer shut itself off. No warning or blue screen, it just powered off. It's only while playing a game, never happens while just surfing the net or doing anything else on the computer - not even while watching videos.

Now I'm just stumped as to what could be causing this. I may replace my graphics card, but I keep thinking that if it was the graphics card, I would be having graphic issues all around - not just while playing a game. Anyone ever experience this or deal with this sort of thing before and have any other suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I do clean the dust out of the fans and such regularly. Also, reseat the graphics card, etc. Fresh thermal paste was just reapplied a few weeks ago onto the CPU when I put the new CPU fan in (yes, I cleaned the old thermal paste off first lol) I even kept the side of my case off this past month to see if it helped with air flow. I also installed an extra case fan.

Attaching a screenshot of my temps - the processor temps are high again - this screenshot was taken about 20 minutes after playing a game and experiencing the flickering.

SPECS:
    RAM: 3328 MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    CPU Speed: 3007.7 MHz
    SC: Realtek HD Audio output
    VC: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
    Res: 1440 X 900 - 32 bit
    HD: 300GB x 2
    MB: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
    PSU: 750W
    CPU Fan: Scythe Katana III

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I'm back - with the flickering graphics!
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
    Temps look normal.  I'm thinking RAM, motherboard and/or GPU.

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
      Well, I hope it's not the motherboard since it's a new one, lol

I forgot to mention that the flickering can happen within 20min or after a couple hours of running a graphic-heavy program - and sometimes not at all during those couple hours. It just does it at random times. I don't know if that's useful information.

The RAM seems to be working OK - but is there any way to check it or any other signs I can look for that can help me determine whether one is failing or not?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
      For system RAM:  http://www.memtest.org/
      For GPU RAM, I don't know

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »
        I ran Memtest and got a message saying it passed with no errors. So I'm guessing my next step is to try a new video card?  :-\

What are the chances it's a faulty CPU?

talontromper

Hopeful
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
        The chances of a faulty CPU is slim. Have you tried the most basic thing of checking your cable connections? Also if you have access to another monitor try attaching that and playing the game and post back with the results from that.
        "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:49:58 AM »
          Yep, I'm always checking the cables and reseating the card - and checking for dust. Just the flickering happens so randomly that I just can't figure out why or where the problem lies. Like I said, there are times when I play a game for an hour or two with no problems. Other times, the flickering starts within 20 minutes or so. Usually, I panic and close the game when I see the flickering starting - otherwise, my computer shuts itself off.

I unfortunately don't have a second monitor to test on, so I'm just gonna try a new video card and see what happens. Is it possible that a video card can be incompatible with a motherboard? This will be the second time I'm replacing the card within a two year period - and I'm not even a hardcore gamer, I'll play a game maybe once every couple days and for not very long. Or I'll run a program like Second Life, where it's not extreme at all and experience the same flickering problem. But if I'm watching movies, I never have any issues.

So, both video cards were Nvidia Geforce from EVGA. Should I try ATI or something? Or is it normal for a video card to conk out within a year or so?

Thanks so much for the responses - and for putting up with my questions lol

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
          This could also be an intermittent power issue...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
            • Programming Blog
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
          Or is it normal for a video card to conk out within a year or so?

No, it's not normal, but I have the exact same video card and I had to RMA it about a week before the warrenty expired.

This could also be an intermittent power issue...

Could be this too.
          YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
            A power issue as in my power supply may be failing? Or I don't have enough power to run the graphics card? Or the video card's power? Help. lol

My PSU is a Thermaltake ToughPower 750w - if we're talking about the PSU now. It seems to be fine though as I'm only having trouble when playing a game. I'd think if the PSU was failing, I'd have issues powering up and whatnot - no? :-\

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
              • Programming Blog
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »
            A power issue as in my power supply may be failing? Or I don't have enough power to run the graphics card? Or the video card's power? Help. lol

First one. 750W is plenty of power for a 9500 GT. I was running mine on a 305W PSU.

so I'm just gonna try a new video card and see what happens.

Did you try it yet? If it still flickers, then it's your PSU or motherboard.
            YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »
              Did you try it yet? If it still flickers, then it's your PSU or motherboard.

No, I haven't yet - I'm in the process of getting a 9800 GT though. Hopefully things go back to normal and I'll be happy knowing it was something as simple as just the video card needing replacement - I'll probably go insane if it's the motherboard or PSU. The PSU is expensive from what I've seen (expensive for me anyway).

I'll post back after I've gotten the card and tested it.

Thanks everyone for all the help! Here's to hoping I won't need to bug anyone again lol