Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restriction Warning  (Read 25157 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Restriction Warning
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
Interesting.
How long ago did it happen?
Do you remember installing/doing anything specific at that time?

Do you have KB927891 update installed?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »

Interesting.
How long ago did it happen?
Do you remember installing/doing anything specific at that time?

Do you have KB927891 update installed?

Hi Broni. This happened at the end of Aug. I downloaded a couple of YouTube files, transferred them to a Flash Drive and shut down the drive and the PC with no apparent problems. First thing the next morning (before booting up) I disconnected an auxillary fan, fooled around with the PSU wiring after receiving the aforementioned messages and have been in this predicament ever since. And I've checked all of my updates( which run automatically) but do not see that one. I'll attempt to find and download it. overthehill

PS Is there any chance whatsoever that this could be a wiring concern?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
I doubt, it's a wiring problem, but I may be wrong.

Do you have any restore point from before the end of August?
Your computer had some infection, which was removed by Combofix in malware forum, so if you use restore point, you'll have to rescan.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
No unfortunately I'm unable to restore any earlier than Sept.8. When you had asked this question previously I had attempted to do just that. It would let me select an earlier date , the PC would reboot and then tell me that the system restore was unsuccessful. After trying this a number of times unsuccessfully I decided to turn off system restore. I then turned it back on, but now it will not let me go back further that Sept. 8. overthehill

PS The update that you referred to is not necessary (as I'm told) because my service pack is newer than the file.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »
Couple more tries...

1. Start- Run- type in - gpedit.msc
Click - Computer configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Removable Storage Access
See, if there are any restrictions there.

2. Try to create new admin account and see, if same issue is there.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
Broni. I followed your instructions but I don't see  "Removable Storage Access"  under System. overthehill

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Try second option.
I'll be out for couple of hours, so I'll check on you later.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »
2. Try to create new admin account and see, if same issue is there.
Hi again Broni. I don't know quite where to start but the problem that we've been having is not the wiring. I created a new account like you suggested and as far as the "Storage Drives", things have improved immensely. You've definitely got me on the right track.
The drives under the new account no longer have the grey circle with the red strike through. Don't know exactly how to describe what the icons look like (but quite common I'm sure) but don't think that they're as they looked previously. But no matter. As long as the drives are functional.
So; 1) tried a CD and was able to view the pictures.
      2) plugged in my external drive and appeared to work OK.
      3) this is where I have a problem. It doesn't recognize any files on my Flash Drive.? It doesn't open as before which would give me many options when plugged in. Could this be Auto Run or such? I have a second Flash Drive but I'm a little afraid to plug it in. This is the Flash Drive that I copied the downloaded files to which I'm wondering whether or not possibly created the problem in the first place??. What would you suggest about this? How does one deal with an infected storage drive anyway?

I didn't stay logged on as the new user because everything that I'm used to has been changed and many programs etc.,etc. will have to be reconfigured and some sites copied to my desktop( my wife would never find them) :D. This is the first time that I have logged on as a new user so I was quite surprised at what greeted me. I couldn't believe my desktop ! And, I'm sure that this could all be worked out but I'm still concerned about the Flash Drives. I have no idea at this time whether or not I'll be able to get the drives to function properly either, in regards to copying etc. Time will tell.

Any suggestions that you have on the "flash drives "(or other matters that I should be dealing with concerning this whole fiasco)would be very much appreciated.  overthehill

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »
OK, some good news then :)
It looks like your previous profile got corrupted somewhere.
Your best option, at this moment, would be to transfer all data from old account to new account and delete old profile.

It doesn't open as before which would give me many options when plugged in. Could this be Auto Run or such?
Yes. There may be several sources of the issue, including your AV program. In today's dangerous world, having autoruns disabled is a safer solution
In your case, you have this registry setting:
O6 - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer: NoDriveAutoRun = 67108799
67108799 value means, autorun is disabled on all drives.
If you insist, we can change this.

Now, to safely scan any USB device, install his on your computer....

Download, and run Flash Disinfector, and save it to your desktop.

*Please disable any AV / ScriptBlockers as they might detect Flash Disinfector to be malicious and block it. Hence, the failure in executing. You can enable them back after the cleaning process*

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
I can't express in words how much I appreciate all you've done for me . You've been most helpful and have stuck with me.  The bad news for you is you may have not heard the last of me. ;D   Thank You. overthehill

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »
You're very welcome

I hope, you won't have any more problems, but if anything...I'll be around :)