Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CHKDSK AGAIN  (Read 4995 times)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    CHKDSK AGAIN
    « on: August 29, 2010, 03:06:35 AM »
    Hi Guys!   ;D

What is wrong with Win 7?  When I try to use 'CHKDSK' from the command promt, I get this message:

"Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privilages.  You have to invoke this utility in evaluation mode"

What the heck!   ???   ???    >:(  Does any of yer know guys????

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: CHKDSK AGAIN
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:26:47 AM »
    Right click the Command Prompt in the Accessories/Programs menu and select "Run as Admin"....
    Then type in chkdsk /r and hit Enter
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
      Thanks Patio lad!   ;D    Pity that one has to keep messing about like this, can't the change be made permanently bud?   :-[

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:04:56 AM »
        It sure is good that there are forums where one can go and get answers buddy, but Bill Gaites shouldn't make 'em in the first place.

Thanks kiddo...looks like some answeres here.    ;)    ;)   ;)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:31:21 AM »
        No problem...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »
        It sure is good that there are forums where one can go and get answers buddy, but Bill Gaites shouldn't make 'em in the first place.

shouldn't make what? security features that people have been asking for since windows 98?

This is what pisses me off. The main "problem" with windows for years has been security, and people are always complaining that it's so easy for it to get infected. The reason for this was because by default everybody is an administrator, and also that the limited user account functionality of pre-vista operating systems was lacking (most programs refused to install or work). So Microsoft, for some silly reason, decided to enhance the security of the system the exact same way that linux does, which is to make administrative tasks require elevation. This is UAC. It's no different with Linux (well, on the surface) which requires you to use sudo or for the desktop environment to display the graphical sudo prompt as necessary.

Security is not free. It's not something that MS can add transparently and nobody will notice it except for fewer "infections".

chkdsk requires admin permission to open the disk and analyze it. In this instance, it doesn't make sense to some people. But consider if it was another tool that was opening the disk to implant a Boot sector virus. They both open the disk for exclusive sector-based access. They both require elevation.

In either case, I usually open cmd.exe with admin rights easily, start, type cmd.exe in the search bar, then press the application key (which shows the right click shortcut) and select run as admin. easy as pie. It doesn't work on the command prompt item though, since that doesn't have a run as admin item for whatever reason.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
          « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
          shouldn't make what? security features that people have been asking for since windows 98?

This is what pisses me off. The main "problem" with windows for years has been security, and people are always complaining that it's so easy for it to get infected. The reason for this was because by default everybody is an administrator, and also that the limited user account functionality of pre-vista operating systems was lacking (most programs refused to install or work). So Microsoft, for some silly reason, decided to enhance the security of the system the exact same way that linux does, which is to make administrative tasks require elevation. This is UAC. It's no different with Linux (well, on the surface) which requires you to use sudo or for the desktop environment to display the graphical sudo prompt as necessary.

Security is not free. It's not something that MS can add transparently and nobody will notice it except for fewer "infections".

Yes, I see it now buddy.     Having been born in a better time than we are in to day and not suffering a geat deal from the mentaly unstable morans of this world, I keep forgetting just how bad the world rally is!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »

Having been born in a better time than we are in to day and not suffering a geat deal from the mentaly unstable morans of this world, I keep forgetting just how bad the world rally is!

???
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
          ???

to day... mentaly ... morans... rally... way to spell!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
          I still think he managed to get his point across...

The grammar police have been brutal lately...