Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with new plug and play devices  (Read 2936 times)

bradpringle

Topic Starter

Starter

Problem with new plug and play devices
    « on: August 31, 2010, 02:26:05 AM »
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place, could be a hardware, driver or software problem but it's on XP so I'm posting here.

I'm having a problem with any new plug and play devices, most recently a new webcam. I plug it in to the USB, the computer recognises that there's something there (and even says it's a camera) but then the hardware wizard pops up. It does a quick search and then gives up saying it can't install the drivers. The camera didn't come with a CD containing drivers, the box said the computer would recognise the install it automatically.

This has happened recently with a Lexmark printer as well, and that time I did have drivers and an installation CD but still no luck. I'm wondering if there's a problem with my settings or whether a virus/malware (I found a few on a recent scan) has knocked something out.

All old USB devices still work, no problems with them being recognised (USB sticks, external hard drives, still/video cameras) but it's getting to be a real pain that I can't use any new USB products!

Any helps/ideas/re-direction to the correct place to put this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problem with new plug and play devices
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:48:49 AM »
    Are you using the rear USB connections or the front ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bradpringle

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »
      Sorry, it's a laptop. Dell Inspiron 1300 bought around 4 years ago. I'm at work at the moment but can post more specs later if needed. It has 3 connections all on the left side, same problem with each one so doesn't work no matter which you plug in to

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »
      I'm wondering if there's a problem with my settings or whether a virus/malware (I found a few on a recent scan) has knocked something out.

Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

bradpringle

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »
        Cheers for that, I'll give it a go when I get home later and post the result