Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Home - Can I delete "Owner" account ?  (Read 4101 times)

Merel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

XP Home - Can I delete "Owner" account ?
    « on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:34 AM »
    On my wife's PC I had some problems :

It is a Dutch version of XP Home where I see account "Eigenaar" for what I suppose is to be seen as "Owner" in the English version).

We both have a user account. Due to some unknown circumstances, when I was logged on with my own account, everything what was to be stored into Docs & Settings was NOT stored into folder named with my own accountname, but instead was stored to the "Owner" folder.

I have created a new account for myself, which seems to be working quite normally.

But at startup, I see 3 accounts now at the login menu :
    1. My own old account (being actually the Owner account but showing my old username.
    2. My new account username
    3. My wife's account username

However at Docs&Settings I see more FOLDERS :
    1. Owner       (stored everything made when logged in with with my old-username !!!)
    2. My old username   (stored never anything, only the defaults at creation !!! )
    3. My new username    (works normally, but everything needs to be re-installed, as in folder Owner)
    4. Name of my wife   (works ok)

QUESTIONS :
    - Is it possible to simply delete the folder "OWNER" in folder Docs&Settings ?

- If so, what are the consequences (besides loosing my own settings stored there) ?

- Is it safe or madness to copy the subfolders of "Owner" contents into my new account ?
      I suppose that the safest way is to reinstall manually whatever is required.

Thank you for advices.

mustdie

Rookie

Answer. See
      « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
      Go to
      1. Desktop
      2. Right Click on your Computer
      3. See the Manage and Click
      4. Then go to Users Menu (in left) to Users
      5. Delete if you want
      6. Not Delete Your Acount  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: XP Home - Can I delete "Owner" account ?
      « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
      Ignore this genius above.

You cannot delete the default admin account. If that's who "owner" is, then you won't be able to delete it. Personally, unless there's some problem I'd forget about it.

Merel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
        Ignore this genius above.

You cannot delete the default admin account. If that's who "owner" is, then you won't be able to delete it. Personally, unless there's some problem I'd forget about it.
        Actually, I haven't that much time to do much reading about the subject. I have been Googling around but didn't find anyone explaining who actually invented the "Owner" account. Either the native original Xp-Home boys from M$ either the special CD of the OEM version.

Anyway I didn't invent or created such a stupid accountname, which causes numerous doubts and troubles , as I see from Google results.   Maybe I should decide to try the other way around and try to rename "Owner" to my own account username and use it instead of deleting it. I will be back later. 
        Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
        While you can rename the default admin account, the name will not change from "owner" in the Documents & Settings Folder

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
        The default administrator account is "administrator" in the documents folder.

It is a Dutch version of XP Home where I see account "Eigenaar" for what I suppose is to be seen as "Owner" in the English version).
        I imagine that this is where the confusion is. Eigenaar is probably used in The dutch version of windows to mean the administrator account, as a localization string.

Actually, I haven't that much time to do much reading about the subject. I have been Googling around but didn't find anyone explaining who actually invented the "Owner" account. Either the native original Xp-Home boys from M$ either the special CD of the OEM version.
        It's the administrator account.

You cannot delete it. There is always an administrator account. Therefore, there will always be a profile folder. You <could> delete or rename the folder (I think), but then if you ever want to log in as an administrator you're out of luck since you essentially deleted the profile.

We both have a user account. Due to some unknown circumstances, when I was logged on with my own account, everything what was to be stored into Docs & Settings was NOT stored into folder named with my own accountname, but instead was stored to the "Owner" folder.

This is because you were logging into the administrator account.

- Is it safe or madness to copy the subfolders of "Owner" contents into my new account ?
          I suppose that the safest way is to reinstall manually whatever is required.

Yes. You may need to reinstall some applications anyway, though, if they were only installed for one user.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »

You cannot delete it. There is always an administrator account. Therefore, there will always be a profile folder. You <could> delete or rename the folder (I think), but then if you ever want to log in as an administrator you're out of luck since you essentially deleted the profile.

You can't delete the admin folder. But what you CAN do is create another admin account with a name of your choice and copy (or move) everything from the default admin folder to the new one

Merel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »
          Thank you for your efforts to make me understand this mess a bit better.
          So far,  I have already a much better understanding now.

The little attempts made in the mean time confirmed what I learned from here :
          Account "Eigenaar" (owner) cannot be deleted, but can be renamed.
          So this must be the Administrator account.

My main observations :
          1. Creating a totally new independent new user account (I named it  "Latest") in addition to my old account, did NOT create a new folder with same name under Docs & Settings ! This was the most surprising.
          2. I deleted my old account (the one storing things into folder "Eigenaar")
          3. I renamed new user "Latest" to "Myname.PC2".
          4. Renamed the old "Eigenaar"  to Myname.PC2 as well

The new created account is still storing data in the same old "Owner" (now renamed) folder  but at least account name and folder in Docs&Sets have identical names.

It still remains a puzzle but I will not proceed into further investigation.
          Thanks to everybody who was helping me.