Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: toshiba sattelite i think computer dont matter, something wrong with audio  (Read 8825 times)

camm44

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

my ex roomate was super computer literate he would use my computer, as it was the main one in the apartment, to make viruses and hack and *censored* or whatnot, somehow he messed my sound up its been 2 years i have a good amount of knowledge, in hardware and software troubleshooting from 4 years of strut in hs, but for the life of me i cannot get the sound to work, and ive basically tried everything and im beginning to think somehow he destroyed the on board sound cuz the, im horrible with wording, the headphone jack or whatever also wont put out sound, nor the speakers, nor anything, i believe last time i checked my sound drivers were all there, ive updated them rolled them back, ive dled new installs, gone through all the configurations for fixing it and nothng seems to work =[ any help would be appreciated btw its vista x86 i think thats all ud need to know

edit
    it also says that sound is playing, like sound checks and all say that there should be sound

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: toshiba sattelite i think computer dont matter, something wrong with audio
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:07:51 AM »
    So, it's been two years since the sound worked?

gone through all the configurations for fixing it and nothng seems to work

Can you give us an outline of the troubleshooting that you've already done? Run through all of the steps that you've taken to fix the problem so far.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:10:25 AM »
      camm 44,Welcome to the CH forums. Given this statement you made "destroyed the on board sound ". Why don't you simply replace the "on board" sound with a stand alone sound card. Depending on your requirements that can be a very inexpensive fix (if that's all that is causing the problem). 2 years is a long time to put up with no sound. truenorth

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
        I have done some research on your behalf and have determined the following
        1.The "satellite" model of the Toshiba laptops is extremely extensive and depending on your model the ability to add a separate sound-card may vary considerably.
        2.Many countries are experiencing recalls on certain models due to potential heat and burning issues. Might want to check that out re whatever model you have.
        3.Apparently this model can range from low end to very high end quality and functionality. Which model do you have?
        truenorth

camm44

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:27:08 PM »
          a216 i believe,,, ummm its super low end i got it on my 17th bday, its computer pos been dropped down stairs and stepped on but before any physical damage was done sound stopped working,, ummm i believe between me my step dad and my ex roomate have basically done everything u can, that i believe, and i honestly had no idea u can get a expansion sound card or device for a laptop? also mic would not work im not sure if they both go thru sound card it would make sense if they do but thats input not output honestly i was hoping this was diagnosable and fixable without funds since like i said its been stepped on and dropped down cement stairs screens all cracked, pieces missing lol something is wrong with a di-od idk how to spell it, when computer gets warm if u tilt it, it powers off, according to my uncle its that word of whats causing it lol ummm processor is shot or something huge latency and loud processor sounds occasionally while doing easy tasks,  it does have heating problems like mentioned in someones reply, extreme heat but dont really matter in my opinion as long as vents are blocked,, 

i think i got off topic,, replacing the on board with a stand alone its not worth money in my opinion i will have a new primary computer in like3 months this computer is worthless to me so unless a card cost like 10 bucks imma just live with sound being messes, but if i can fix it with an insomnia filled night for free im completely down
          « Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:56:25 PM by camm44 »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:04 AM »
          it also says that sound is playing, like sound checks and all say that there should be sound
          In what instance?
          Have you check on all status,properties,options pertaining to your issue?
          Toshiba sattelite model?
          Is your Audio device an integrated soundcard with mobo?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
            Camm44, I believe the basis of your problems with your laptop were/are significantly affected by the following events " been dropped down stairs and stepped on ". Your decision to not expend any serious money on fixing it are probably well founded. However just to demonstrate the availability of add on sound cards i am providing a link to some of the hardware solutions that are available, However given all the maladies that the computer is demonstrating i wouldn't trust it with any serious data storage and if you have anything on it you value i would get it off asap.
            http://www.google.ca/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=usb+sound+card&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=P7ODTPS-KMHhnQezr4VN&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQsAQwAw
            truenorth

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
            Punctuation is Cool...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
            Punctuation is Cool...

Feel free to ignore this post.

@ patio: You spammer.
            You think you can do anything just because your a Admin. -_-

@ On Topic:

Have you tried open up the case/cover to see if anything internally is damaged??

Have you made sure the card/onboard switch/whatnot is properlyy connected??

This is a Laptop, correct?
            I would ship it back to the store where you brought it, for servicing/repairs if possible, other than that, buy a new computer, and restore all your data to the new HDD once you've got the new one, unless its a different OS, (for instance, restoring data from Windows XP & Windows 7 is a BAD IDEA.)

So be sure to (if possible,) only backup personal data, such as music, pics, and videos.

Hope that helped. :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »
              deargodpleasehelp, "I would ship it back to the store where you brought it, for servicing/repairs" . Given the O/P's statement "messed my sound up its been 2 years " why would it be so important to return it to the point of purchase? Highly unlikely to have any warranty remaining.
                 Given this statement "screens all cracked, pieces missing lol something is wrong with a di-od idk how to spell it, when computer gets warm if u tilt it, it powers off, according to my uncle its that word of whats causing it lol ummm processor is shot or something huge latency and loud processor sounds occasionally while doing easy tasks,  it does have heating problems like mentioned in someones reply, extreme heat but dont really matter in my opinion as long as vents are blocked,, " It is perplexing to understand why you would be asking this question "Have you tried open up the case/cover to see if anything internally is damaged??"
              This suggestion seems to sound like an echo. "So be sure to (if possible,) only backup personal data, such as music, pics, and videos." truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
              Feel free to ignore this post.

@ patio: You spammer.

@ On Topic:

Have you tried open up the case/cover to see if anything internally is damaged??

Have you made sure the card/onboard switch/whatnot is properlyy connected??

This is a Laptop, correct?
              I would ship it back to the store where you brought it, for servicing/repairs if possible, other than that, buy a new computer, and restore all your data to the new HDD once you've got the new one, unless its a different OS, (for instance, restoring data from Windows XP & Windows 7 is a BAD IDEA.)

So be sure to (if possible,) only backup personal data, such as music, pics, and videos.

Hope that helped. :)
              Feel free to ignore posts by this genius.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
                Had thought to do exactly that but was concerned that the O/P might have actually thought there was some advice in it worth taking.truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
                He's not an admin.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »

'deargodpleasehelp' is a brilliant name, because every time i see a post by them, i just think 'dear god, please help'
                11 cheers for binary !

camm44

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 04:16:27 PM »
                  the sounds went out when there was zero damage done to the computer, so i dont think that would have anything to do with sound not working, it is possible to physically damage a computer through using software correct? i believe that was what was done by my roomate accidentally he also busted other roomates computer probably a month after, and where my laptop is cheap my friends was 2200 and the geek squad at best buy had to completely replace it instead of diagnosing and repair, once again completely through software  and trying to get his "haxxxor, noob, 1337, pown" on lol, if it is impossible to physically damage the sound through software then whatever is wrong with my lap top is repairable, one thing i have not done is a re install to my os, tho i really dont want to since the sticker with the serial number on it is gone, and im pretty sure u cant get the serial for the os off the computer itself? update me if im wrong

sorry about punctuation and all