Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can you dictate with HTML?  (Read 3245 times)

Big

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Can you dictate with HTML?
    « on: September 05, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »

They say HTML doesn't dictate how a browser will display a page precisely, because of the numerous platforms and ability for users to change their browser settings and overriding CSS stylesheets.

Does this mean that if two people who have the same browser with the same settings, the same monitor, the same fonts and one person gives his website to the other, they will have different, not exactly the same 100%, displaying pages?

I'm trying to grasp what they mean by 'you can't dictate how pages will look like'.
    I understand that that's because of the varying user settings and overriding options,
    but what if users just happen to have a common, default setup?

How does the system work?

Computerhope is corrupt.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can you dictate with HTML?
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:49:48 AM »
    I'm trying to grasp what they mean by 'you can't dictate how pages will look like'.
    Who's "they"?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can you dictate with HTML?
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:00:51 AM »
    The web environment you've described is why web designers should test their web pages using different monitor resolutions and different web browsers. How else will you know for sure that your pages will display as you want when viewed by visitors to your website?