Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on trouble burning .avi files  (Read 2795 times)

samp

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Advice on trouble burning .avi files
    « on: September 06, 2010, 04:39:47 AM »
    Good day,

I have some .avi files on my laptop which play fine in Realplayer and other players I have installed on the laptop.

However, when I copy the files to a DVD disk using Nero and making a data file copy,  they refuse to play in my computer from the newly burned disk.
    So I tried several times to see if it was a one time error but no, they just don't play from the disk.  Advice?

Thanks in advance,
    Samp
    Out of the earth to rest or range,
    Perpetual in perpetual change,
    The unknown passing through the strange.
                                     -John Masefield

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Advice on trouble burning .avi files
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:22:36 AM »

So, you put the disk in. Goto to my computer and right-click on your disk drive and goto OPEN. Then right-click the files you want and goto 'open with' and select 'realplayer'..............and nothing happens.

What exactly are you doing to get the files to play??

Need more info!!
    11 cheers for binary !

samp

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
      Hi,

thanks for your response...

Yes, that is what I do...I select the file I want on the DVD disc (the .avi file) and then either double click it or I select "open with" and choose one of the three players I have installed (All of which will play .avi files that I have on the computer and on other discs given to me by friends.)

So I am assuming I am doing something wrong in burning the .avi files to the DVD disk in the first place or the software isn't working or setup right.

Once I got a message that there was an error in the file but only once, the other times it just doesn't do anything.

Hope this answers your question...

thanks,
      samp
      Out of the earth to rest or range,
      Perpetual in perpetual change,
      The unknown passing through the strange.
                                       -John Masefield

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
        I would like you to try something to see if it changes your outcome. I want you to go to this web site
        http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/
        and download their free video converter software ( i use it) and then take one of your .avi files that is giving you the problem and convert it within the program to an .avi file format. Yes,yes i know it is supposedly already an .avi file. But i had this problem some time back (also with an .avi video) and i did what i am suggesting and it was then burned and worked perfectly. Please don't ask why that was i have no idea. truenorth