Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Monitor Discolored and Small  (Read 3123 times)

Josh G

Laptop Monitor Discolored and Small
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:58:39 AM »
My laptop's LCD screen is stuck in 4 bit color and at 640x480 resolution (with a 2-3 inch black border around the whole screen). I have tried the normal way of adjusting this (right click on the desktop and go to 'Settings') but after clicking 'Apply' or 'OK', the computer gives me the Blue Screen of Death for half-a-second, then shuts down...

This all started happening after I adjusted the settings from dual monitors to just the LCD screen,  unplugged my 2nd monitor, then after realizing I still needed to use the 2nd monitor, plugged it back in again... At first, the LCD screen went to 640x480 res but at full screen, which has happened before, and I've fixed it... I believe I tried to fix it via the method described above and it crashed... Then after booting up again, it displayed the 4 bit and the 640x480 with the black border...

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

squirrel

Re: Laptop Monitor Discolored and Small
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »
My laptop's LCD screen is stuck in 4 bit color and at 640x480 resolution (with a 2-3 inch black border around the whole screen). I have tried the normal way of adjusting this (right click on the desktop and go to 'Settings') but after clicking 'Apply' or 'OK', the computer gives me the Blue Screen of Death for half-a-second, then shuts down...

This all started happening after I adjusted the settings from dual monitors to just the LCD screen,  unplugged my 2nd monitor, then after realizing I still needed to use the 2nd monitor, plugged it back in again... At first, the LCD screen went to 640x480 res but at full screen, which has happened before, and I've fixed it... I believe I tried to fix it via the method described above and it crashed... Then after booting up again, it displayed the 4 bit and the 640x480 with the black border...

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

Does the blue screen of death have an error message displayed on it? if so, what does it say?

Josh G

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:27:51 AM »
The computer restarts before I can read it... I changed the settings so when the blue screen happens, the computer won't restart (directions on how to do that found on this site, thanks)... I guess I'll crash my computer to see what it says... Give me a few...

Josh G

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »
Alright, so...

The Blue Screen says:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF9E0020, 0XA9203AD8, 0X00000000)

*** ati2dvag.dll - Address BF9E0020 base at BF9BB000, DateStamp 3d06a6da

Thats all the technical mumbo-jumbo (is that hexidecimal?)... It also had many other really vague things that were of no help what-so-ever...

Oh yeah, but the way... My computer didn't even wait for me to click 'Apply' or 'OK' that time... It just crashed when I clicked 'Settings'... I hope its not getting worse.

Thanks again,
Josh

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »
Have you set your Laptop back to monitor #1 when you go to the following menu:

1. Right click on the Desktop
2. Settings tab

Josh G

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »
It was a bad driver... Simple fix... I do appreciate your help!

Can someone tell me this, though... Why did the driver go bad? That seems like a strange thing to happen.

Thanks again,

Josh

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:16:11 AM »
Why did the driver go bad?

Improperly configured?

yourfateissealed

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 11:27:40 AM »
If it was a 'new' driver, then it just needed to be updated.  If it was the same driver, something must have happened to the settings...

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 04:40:22 PM »
*** ati2dvag.dll ***...........bad download......or scatched/damaged cdrom disk