Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard  (Read 5816 times)

curveworn

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:33:49 AM »
Greetings...

I was having problems with my pc so I transferred all my files and settings to a jump drive using the Transfer Wizard, reloaded the computer and everything is working fine...

Problem is this...I'd like to open these files on the jump drive (saved e-mails, pics etc.) without loading them back into the computer.

When I look at the properties of this file it shows...Type of file DAT File and in attirbutes the Archive box is checked. I have tried opening it using several programs, Zip Reader, Microsoft Word, etc. and all it shows is gibberish (for lack of a better term)

Any thoughts, ideas, clues, hints would be greatly appreciated !?!

Thank You!  

squirrel

Re: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:38:54 AM »
Are you able to change the properties (i.e. check or uncheck boxes?)

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:59:21 AM »
What exactly is a jump drive? Is this a ZIP drive?

curveworn

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 02:10:34 PM »
  Lexar Jump Drive 512MB...flash drive ..usb removable storage device

squirrel

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
Oh, you mean like those drives that are the size of a key and fit in your pocket?

curveworn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:16:11 PM »
  I can change can the properties (checking, unchecking boxes) doesn't appear to have any effect

curveworn

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 02:18:55 PM »
 correct

yourfateissealed

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 02:23:46 PM »
Is it possible for you to view the devices connected to your system via USB?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 02:42:46 PM »
 Lexar Jump Drive 512MB...flash drive ..usb removable storage device

.DAT are storage files. Were these files back upped using an utility as opposed to simply dragging and dropping?

curveworn

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »
 I used the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on Windows XP and put them on the jump drive, I've tried downloading to an external hard drive...when I try to view it, it ask me to select a program to open it with..Nothing I choose seems to work......it shows the size of this file as..23,244kb I suppose it must be compressed...?

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 04:04:45 AM »
I have never used the Windows XP data transfer wizard, but if they are .DAT files it must indeed compress them. You can decompress and manually drag and drop or copy them onto the flash stick.

curveworn

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 03:36:06 PM »
  If this file is compressed how would I go about decompressing it? It is still located on the jump drive, also in a couple of folders I opened and dropped it into them trying different things

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 04:40:13 PM »
 If this file is compressed how would I go about decompressing it? It is still located on the jump drive, also in a couple of folders I opened and dropped it into them trying different things

I would think that using the same wizard will reverse the process.

Can you show me where this Wizard is located?

curveworn

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 06:01:25 PM »
Tranfer Wizard location....Windows XP, go to.. Start button then.. All Programs..Accessories..System Tools..and you'll see it there..Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

I've tried loading it back into the computer and the only change I see happenig is the desktop background going back to what it was before I dumped everyhing into the jump drive...unable to locate anything that looks familiar..
                     ...I have opened it using Microsoft Word, Notepad, etc and what I get looks like computer code...Strange letters, symbols, numbers....if that tells you anything

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 09:14:31 PM »
    Are you sure you saved the missing files?
    If you did save them & now you have put them back, then they should be there on your hard disk.