Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer changes spacing and only prints every other page of word document  (Read 9314 times)

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I am new to the site and I have looked but I don't see anything posted about this.  I apologize if it has been answered before.  I appreciate any help you can give me.

I recently installed a HP1000 J110 series printer.  I started printing a word document of raffle tickets that I needed.  I have printed over 200 pages of this.  I can also print successfully from the web or a pdf file.  But when I try to print my homework from a word document the spacing has changed to double and it only prints every other page.  I just printed a 7 page single space document - it printed 7 pages double spaced - it printed complete paragraphs but seemed to skip every other page.  I have gone over my settings but I can't find anything that seems to need changed.  I can't figure out why it prints okay on one but not on the others.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Printer changes spacing and only prints every other page of word document
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »

When you say 'you've gone over your settings' is this the box that opens before you finally click 'print'.

It confirms - 'Print : All pages in range', Page Range - Select 'All', Print what : Document etc

Is this what you mean by settings???
    11 cheers for binary !

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
      Yes, those are the settings I checked.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
        Do you have another software that you can use to create the document in (other than MS Word? If so i would suggest that you try that and see if it changes anything. My suspicion is that the issue is more likely a result of the Word program than a printer issue.Given that you are NOT changing the settings when you change your tasks. truenorth

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »
          I copied my two page paper over to WordPad and it printed the exact same way as it did from Word.  Double spaced and it printed the beginning and end but left out what looks like would have been page 2 if I had wanted it double spaced.  Everything is double spaced, even between paragraphs.

positivedays

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »

Which version of Word
          11 cheers for binary !

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
              I found this while researching your issue on your behalf. Personally i don't think the issue is this complex. However it DOES deal with your precise problem and it DOES provide a specific course of action to remedy it. But my impression is that it is relating more to an event that happens all the time as opposed to your situation of only with a certain document. Wade through it  (not being very positive am i) and perhaps it will assist you.
              http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/SYSADPRTSVCS/tsprint-78101.html
              truenorth

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
                I have to leave for a few minutes.  I appreciate the help!!!  Be right back and will definately wade through it.  Thanks.

positivedays

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
                  truenorth, that information does address my problem....but it is WAY above my head! lol

I just figured out something interesting.  I realized that the word documents that I have been successful in printing have had some (not all) color to them.  Everything prints fine.  The documents that have been giving me trouble are just black text, so I changed the color of the text of the 2 page paper I have been trying to print to dark blue and it printed perfectly????  I changed it back to black and it was wrong again.

At least I have my paper for class tomorrow...lol

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »

Maybe, uninstall and re-install your Printer (driver) software.

You have a CD, right?
                  11 cheers for binary !

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »
                    I want to expose you to my logic re your issue with your printing.The parameter for "spacing" is NOT a function of your printer program. It IS a function of the document creating program in this case that would be MS Word. The aspect of printing alternative pages or double sided printing is a function of your printer settings. It is my belief as stated earlier that your problem emanates from "Word' and not your printer settings. Therefore i believe it to be premature to be uninstalling software for the printer.
                      Instead i would like you to reset your "Word 2007" to it's default settings and let us see what happens. Here is the link to guide you on aspects of that function.
                    http://www.lostintechnology.com/how-to/how-to-change-the-default-settings-in-microsoft-word-2007
                    Good luck,truenorth

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
                      I followed the instructions given in that link and it did not make a difference in the print outcome.  If it is a problem with the Word program, why does the document print when I change the ink color from black to another color?  I just changed one word in a one page paper to red and the entire paper printed correctly (with one red word).  I changed the color back to black and it double spaced and only printed one page which was only about half the information. 

I really appreciate everyone's help and the research you are doing!

positivedays

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »
                        To answer your last post as to "why does the document print when I change the ink color from black to another color? ". It is my suspicion that a change at sometime was made in word (perhaps inadvertently) that created a "new default" for a print process involving the particular task that is creating this issue. However i must confess that a big hole gets shot in that theory when if as you say you have reverted the MS Word back to default settings. That should have removed any user generated previous changes.
                          Now going back to this statement "I recently installed a HP1000 J110 series printer." How old is this printer? Has it EVER printed a "black" text document in any word processing software correctly?truenorth

positivedays

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »
                          I purchased & installed the printer on Friday, September 3.  I immediately started printing the raffle tickets that I needed with no problems.  I tried to print one of my papers on Tuesday and I found the problem.  So no it has never printed a black text document.

positivedays