Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Power to computer...  (Read 4390 times)

Imanoldlady

No Power to computer...
« on: July 25, 2005, 12:04:30 AM »
Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong forum as I am new to your board..I'm at a complete loss here..I had my son come over and install a new DVD writer in my HP Compaq desktop..he has installed many new hard drives in other family computers with no problem at all..tonight after taking out the DVD-Rom and replacing it with the DVD Writer he connected all the cords back up..power,scanner,monitor etc..now I have nothing..nada..zilch..no power at all..only a flashing green power lite..along with a green flashing light in the back of the tower which he says is the power supply light...the computer is only a year old and my older than the hills laptop isn't cutting it..do you think I need a new power supply..any help or ideas would be appreciated..
I'm not well versed in the computer language but will do my best to tell you anything you may need to help me with a diagnosis..thank you in advance..

Raptor

Re: No Power to computer...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 02:56:04 AM »
Should have spanked him more often.

1. Does the computer work when you disconnect the DVD-ROM from the power supply and mainboard?
2. Where is the green flashing light? Was this present during the installation as well?

uisquebeathus

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:06:33 AM »
It could be that he accidentally nudged the power cable out its socket in the motherboard.
Power of the computer, disconnect the mains cable from the back and unscrew the side panel lookong at the pc from the front this is most likely to be the left sideand have a look for a small white plug with approximatly 20 wires attached near the top of the motherboard, if its loose push it back into its socket.Its unlikely you will get an electric shock and the plug and socket are really the only ones which can match. Be carefule not to dislodge any other plugs or components.

Imanoldlady

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
1. Does the computer work when you disconnect the DVD-ROM from the power supply and mainboard?

No..he took it out and put the DVD-Rom back in and still nothing..

2. Where is the green flashing light? Was this present during the installation as well?

The flashing greenlight  is the power button bulb..another green light is flashng on top of the back of the tower. No..the greenlight was not flashing during installation..there was no cords connected to it at that time..it was turn off and disconnected completely before installation..

It could be that he accidentally nudged the power cable out its socket in the motherboard.
 Power of the computer, disconnect the mains cable from the back and unscrew the side panel lookong at the pc from the front this is most likely to be the left sideand have a look for a small white plug with approximatly 20 wires attached near the top of the motherboard, if its loose push it back into its socket.Its unlikely you will get an electric shock and the plug and socket are really the only ones which can match. Be carefule not to dislodge any other plugs or components.

Good thought..I'll have him try that..

Again thank you so much for eveyones help..it's nice to know that are kind and helpful people in this world..

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 12:29:55 PM »
Try this >>>boot pc and hold down the del key......it should list the drives <bios setup>......does it...?

Imanoldlady

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:54:03 PM »
Try this >>>boot pc and hold down the del key......it should list the drives <bios setup>......does it...?

Thanks..I just tried that and nothing..the monitor doesn't work either..the amber light just keeps blinking..I so hate blinking lights right now..

I don't understand if the power supply is dead how are the lights working to be able to blink..I would think I would just have nothing at all..the only way to shut off the blinking lights is to unplug the power cord..

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 01:02:30 PM »
For the green led to be on you have some power......any beeping at all......when you switch it on!

Imanoldlady

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »
For the green led to be on you have some power......any beeping at all......when you switch it on!

Nope not a sound..I can push the power button or hold it down till the cows come home and the sucker still keeps blinking at me.. ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 01:08:24 PM by Imanoldlady »

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »
I would advise this get you son to remove the dvd drive.....check all the ide cables/wiring to the motheboard......the ram sticks.....and video card. and cable from the tower to the monitor>>...does the fan spin on the board.....or pay this a visit>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHomeC?lc=en&cc=us
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 01:15:55 PM by merlin_2 »

Imanoldlady

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 01:23:31 PM »
I would advise this get you son to remove the dvd drive.....check all the ide cables/wiring to the motheboard......the ram sticks.....and video card. and cable from the tower to the monitor>>...does the fan spin on the board.....

He did that last night..he took out the DVD burner and put back in the original DVD Rom..the way everything was before he did anything..and we got the exact same result..nothing.. the fan doesn't work either..no signal to monitor..nothing from the tower at all other than the blinking lights..I willl see if he can come over tonight and check the connections to the motherboard as you requested..you all are the best..if all else fails I guess it goes to the shop..which I just dread as I know it will be gone forever..that's why I had him do this for me to begin with..it was in the shop once to upgrade the memory and they had the thing 2 weeks..

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 01:38:45 PM »
Power supply unit may have failed<part of it maybe >.......i hope its not the motherboard........tell you son to reset the jumper settings on the board......it should by move  to clear?have a look inside the case a diagram should be stuck there reguarding resetting the mobo jumpers>....and take out the cmos battery....for ten mins.to clear the bios some mobo havea jumper also to do this!!....tell him to unplug the pc from the mains......and earth himself by touching the case......tell us the out come and good luck......
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 01:40:56 PM by merlin_2 »

Imanoldlady

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 01:58:54 PM »
Power supply unit may have failed<part of it maybe >.......i hope its not the motherboard........tell you son to reset the jumper settings on the board......it should by move  to clear?have a look inside the case a diagram should be stuck there reguarding resetting the mobo jumpers>....and take out the cmos battery....for ten mins.to clear the bios some mobo havea jumper also to do this!!....tell him to unplug the pc from the mains......and earth himself by touching the case......tell us the out come and good luck......

Again...thank you Merlin...I will tell have him do as you suggested and let you know the out come..

As my grandson says.."Peace Out"

Justin Martin

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 02:40:28 PM »
You might try this, because almost the same thing happened to me when i installed my sisters cd burner.  Check and make sure that the wire that runs from the power on button is still connected to the motherboard.  Sometimes it the simple things..........

Crafty

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 07:06:11 PM »
How much Memory do you have, if you have 2 sticks try taken one out and try restarting your computer to test for faulty memory. if that dont work swap them around and try rebooting again.

One more thing that happened to me with blinking lights, but im not sure it applys here as im not certain what is working in your computer, was i had a problem with my Graphics card. The driver had become corrupt and the only way i was able to start my computer was to install an old Graphics card. After that i was able to reinstall the one i had in.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 07:06:32 PM by Crafty »