Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP Pro Autorun.  (Read 2385 times)

T.C.

Topic Starter

Beginner

Win XP Pro Autorun.
    « on: September 09, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
    In order to distribute files I'm trying to get an inserted flash drive to always be allocated to drive letter Q: (as well as the drive letter already allocated by the system) using the Autorun feature.  It's working but leaves behind an icon of drive letter Q: complete with red ? as shown in the third image below.  Does anyone know how to delete this icon when the flash drive is removed please?

First image shows My Comp before inserting the flash drive, the second My Comp after the flash drive is inserted and the final one My Comp after the flash drive is removed.

Thanks

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win XP Pro Autorun.
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
    If you want a drive to remember it's drive letter designation then do 2 things:

Give it a letter at least two letters away from the last drive on any of the machines it's used on
    Give the drive a Volume name...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

T.C.

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Win XP Pro Autorun.
      « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
      If you want a drive to remember it's drive letter designation then do 2 things:

Give it a letter at least two letters away from the last drive on any of the machines it's used on
      Give the drive a Volume name...

I won't know the drive letters of remote machines, it's possible that Q: has already been allocated, another hurdle to jump when the current problem is sorted.  The drive allocations for the machine I'm testing on can be seen on the images.

The flash drive already has the label Kingston as shown in the second image I posted.

What I want to solve right now is how to get rid of the redundant icon in My Comp when the flash drive is disconnected.

Thanks.