Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with my Compaq Presario 2100  (Read 3923 times)

Pirate1207

Topic Starter

Rookie

Help with my Compaq Presario 2100
    « on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:17 AM »
    Regarding my compaq presario 2100, it was infected with a virus and i decided to format it. During the first attempt using windows xp installer the laptop can not detect some of the dll files. since this laptop can not boot to a usb, because i am planning to use my external optical drive in installing os on that laptop. so i decided to remove the hdd and insert it to an enclosure and hook it to my pc. I install windows 98 on it using my PC. The process was successful, so i install again the hdd to my compaq presatio laptop. I was surprise with the result because it keeps on having a blue screen. Sometimes it hung up during boot process or right after the desktop appears in screen. Last day i try to turn it on but there are no more display i see in screen. I also observe that the cpu fan turns for about 3 o 5 seconds and after that it stop but the led lights in the laptop were up. what could be the problem of this?

Please help. i need this laptop badly

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help with my Compaq Presario 2100
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
    Sounds very much like you need to find a legit XP CD...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pirate1207

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »
      How can i install any OS on that laptop in yet it doesn't have any display on screen. i can not see even the boot process. I tried the xp installer to other pc and it works fine.

Pirate1207

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:42:14 PM »
        any ideas how to fix this problem? the cpu fan works for about 3 to 5 seconds then right after that it turn down but the led light in the panel is working.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
        I install windows 98 on it using my PC. The process was successful, so i install again the hdd to my compaq presatio laptop.
        It'll never work. You can't install Windows on one computer, move the hard drive to another computer and expect it to work.
        Windows installation is tied up to computer's hardware.

We need more info...
        What legit installation disks do you have?
        Does the laptop have CD drive, USB drive in working condition?

Pirate1207

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
          It'll never work. You can't install Windows on one computer, move the hard drive to another computer and expect it to work.
          Windows installation is tied up to computer's hardware.

We need more info...
          What legit installation disks do you have?
          Does the laptop have CD drive, USB drive in working condition?

My friend suggest that to me and he is doing that for a couple of years. He is a tech ni one of the company near our place. Yes the laptop has CD drive but it was already busted and a working usb but it doesn't have capability to boot on the usb. i already check the bios before. now my problem is it doesn't have any display. i already plug other monitor to its vga but it say no signal. i already disassemble the compaq presario 2100 and clean everything the mobo, ram, hdd, processor, remove the cmos battery but same problem i encounter. please help.

my friend told me to wash my mobo with water or paint tinner and let it dry for 2 to 3 days and assemble it. is it possible? i also observe that their are some stain in the mobo.

Before, it was infected with a virus and i format it but again some dll files can not be detected. i remove the hdd and plug it to my pc using enclosure and install windows 98 and it is successful. But the moment i put it back on the laptop it keeps on hunging up right after the desktop display or it keeps on having a blue screen. So i give it a rest for a while. After 2 days i turn it on there is no more display i saw on screen. i observer that after i hit the power button the cpu fan under the laptop turns for 3 to 5 seconds and after that it stop but the led light in the panel is up. what could be the cause of this and can i fix this? please help badly needed.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
          My friend suggest that to me and he is doing that for a couple of years
          The only case, I'm aware of, it'd work, if you have two identical (hardware-wise) machines.

my friend told me to wash my mobo with water or paint tinner and let it dry for 2 to 3 days and assemble it. is it possible?
          I have no idea. I'm not a hardware guy and I never tried anything like that.

Now, from your description, it looks like at least on-board video chip was dying as of lately and it finally passed away
          Or, a whole motherboard was dying and it gave up recently.

I assume, this must be rather old laptop, so money-wise, it doesn't make sense to travel to a computer shop.\
          I believe, we've been fighting a lost cause here....

Pirate1207

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:47:05 AM »
            Thanks for the reply. i already solve the problem. right after i disassemble 2nd time around i turn on the laptop and let the processor temp rise and the cpu fan turns on after than i turn it of and turn on again and press and hold the power button. after that i turn on again and whala it already have a display.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »
            Good news then :)