Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can anyone suggest a good motherboard?  (Read 6953 times)

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

Can anyone suggest a good motherboard?
    « on: September 13, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »
    I decided to skip on a what sounded like a good deal(another post) and have decided to build my own pc(first ever) I am currently using a Dell Inspirion 518 (4GB DDR2 Ram, intel pentium dual E2220 CPU 2.40 ghz, and an ATI radeon HD3450 with 256mb video card) only problem- it is a rent to own deal so the tower is going to cost me 660.00 at the end and the monitor which is a 21.5 wide screen is gonna cost another 330.00 and its running Vista 32-bit. I would rather build one nd own it rather than keep making payments and have something happen like work slows down or something and then after I paid all that money I end up with nothing if its not paid for. SO I need help with a good motherboard to get started. I do play games like far cry 2, call of duty, things like that- mostly FPS games, I also down load music, burn cds, watch dvds - if anyone can help and throw out a few suggestions that would be great, actually if someone knows about good video cards, ram CPU's that would also be helpful. Thanx in advance

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Can anyone suggest a good motherboard?
      « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
      I have been reading alot on motherboards and CPU's and was wandering how this would work out
      Motherboard- Gigabyte- GA-G41M  Socket775
      CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
      and the Ram would be Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz 4GB(2x2GB)

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »
      I like the Asus and the Gigabyte boards best for gaming. You usually find they have a board that is specifically geared towards gaming and overclocking. As for whats best depends on how much you want to spend. I have just spend £1000 on just building a tower.

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
      By this if you want a really good game experience and a machine that will last sometime before an upgrade is needed. Or is this to much money :-\

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=47410&category_id=491&manufacturer_id=0&tid=

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
        so how much is that in american money? lol Im not a hardcore games, just a moderate I guess

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
        so how much is that in american money? lol Im not a hardcore games, just a moderate I guess

If I was you I would get an Asus or Gigabyte board for games. The cpu in your last post will play games ok, as will that amount of ram. However, I would look at getting a geforce 260gtx if I was you, lots of people will be selling used ones now since the Geforce 460Gtx has come out, so you should pick up a Geforce 260gtx fairly cheap.

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
          I just checked on newegg for the board and a CPU you mentioned, the board is only 140.00 and a CPU for 100

Crafty

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 06:18:19 PM »
          I just checked on newegg for the board and a CPU you mentioned, the board is only 140.00 and a CPU for 100

Sounds a good deal, it's a good board and cpu, but remember all the other parts you have to get aswell. Get a Geforce 260gtx and some good ram and you are good for gaming.

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
            the CPU was an Intel Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8ghz 73 watt Dual core with 3mb L3 Cache and could you recomened a video card, ram and a psu that would bundle well with these?

Crafty

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
            the CPU was an Intel Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8ghz 73 watt Dual core with 3mb L3 Cache and could you recomened a video card, ram and a psu that would bundle well with these?

Any Geforce 260GTX. Psu, I would get a coolermaster 650watt.. I would get a good make of Psu because lots of people make the mistake of trying to save money on the psu when it plays an important part. (Click link below for ram.)

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=46876&category_id=938&manufacturer_id=0&tid=cmx4gx3m2a1600c9

Crafty

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »

That cpu wont go in this board get the one you saw on newegg.

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »
              on the newegg site its got the same socket- socket 1156

Crafty

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
              on the newegg site its got the same socket- socket 1156

Well it should be alright then, I didn't check that..Sorry. Also, I just went on the newegg site and saw that the Geforce 460GTX isn't much more expensive then the Geforce 260gtx, So may aswell get he Geforce 460GTX.

shanes76

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
                ok, now all I need is a hard drive, case, and OS

Crafty

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »
                ok, now all I need is a hard drive, case, and OS

Cases are cheap enough, just get one with a few fans on to keep the temps down. Os, you will need windows 7 to run 4 gig of ram, Vista 64bit will do it but I don't like vista ;D. Harddrive, just get one that runs at 7200rpm. You could get one that runs at 1000rpm, but I think they are to expensive. Also, I would get that cpu you saw in that bundle, it's far better then the one you suggested.