Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HTML 5  (Read 6154 times)

silverpersian

Topic Starter

Beginner
    HTML 5
    « on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:25 AM »
    What do you think about HTML5 ?
    and do you know what browsers support it at the moment ?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HTML 5
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:25 AM »
    Firefox 3.6 supports most of its features. Plenty more answers here: Goooooooogle

I think it's the way forward anyway so it must be a good thing.

silverpersian

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »
      i think that the video tag is great ! :)

sjohnson2

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »

I didn't know what the deal is with HTML 5 video is so I looked it up. Here's what onlinevideo. net says about it:

"What’s particularly interesting about HTML5 is that it contains a video tag that enables browsers to natively play back video within the page, obviating the need for plug-ins like Flash, Silverlight, and QuickTime. HTML5 was quietly progressing and flying below the radar until Apple introduced the iPad without support for Flash, with video playback accomplished via HTML5. This created a firestorm of interest, and the inevitable Flash vs. HTML5 arguments."

I guess if Firefox ends up supporting HTML 5 video and viewers would be able to download the video somehow that could be good. As it stands, it looks like downloading HTML 5 video is a problem where it is enabled (if I understand correctly).
         *Link Removed*

silverpersian

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
          i think that once html5 becomes part of the standards it will work with all browsers :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
          i think that once html5 becomes part of the standards it will work with all browsers :)

it is part of the standards. Otherwise, FF probably wouldn't already have support for most of it's features.

it's a matter of the browsers playing catch-up. It's better this way. Before browsers were adding features that weren't in teh standard, like OBJECT tags and APPLET and BLINK and other cruft, and then they would have to decide at some point which of these stupid retarded and often OS-specific features would make the cut as a standard. This often took years. Heck, Tables were a de facto standard that didn't even officially exist as part of HTML for years and yet were implemented by nearly all browsers at the time, and only later actually added as a de juere standard with well defined rules. Before that they just sort of made it up as they went along.

Remember the absolute MESS that was working in web design in the days of IE4/NS... and... whatever other browsers there were back then? even between those two browsers it was like trying to capture a shaved greased up gorilla to get a page working right. They both essentially had their own set of standards (being that most of the "standards" were de facto). the browser compatibility nowadays between the major players- IE, FF, Chrome, Opera, and others, is a mere sliver compared to the absolute hellish experience it was trying to get a page working in all browsers when there essentially <was> no standard* by which you could follow.

Nowadays, thankfully, the standards are created <before> they are implemented, so we actually end up with stuff that is in general well thought out, not garbage spur of the moment "hey wouldn't it be cool if there was a tag/attribute for" crap made by one of the developers of a browser on a random whim (I'm looking at you blink,marquee,animate,audioscope,bgsound,blackface,bq, etc.)

*OK,so there <WAS> a standard, but if you followed the standard all you'd have is a drab boring page, with no javascript, CSS, and using only very basic tags and attributes. Trying to create a page that looks good using them is like trying to sculpt Michelangelo's Davis using Oven Mitts stuck on the end of barbecue tongs, or trying to grow watermelons in easter grass- the best you can hope for is a huge mess.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:37 AM »
          Firefox 3.6 supports most of its features. Plenty more answers here: Goooooooogle

I think it's the way forward anyway so it must be a good thing.
          Did any of you visit http://html5test.com/, one of the links in that Google search list?  Try it.  I got a score of 139 with Firefox 3.6.10 and a score of 27 with IE8.  So, Firefox seems far ahead of IE in this regard.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »

Google Chrome 5.0.375.126 scores 197. Not sure if that's the latest version.

In fact, I know it's not, I recall some hubbub in some forums about google chrome hiding the http:// part of the uri, so it's probably an older one. One would imagine the latest version fares even better.

Anybody have IE9 Beta to see what score it gets?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
            • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
          BC: Chrome 6 Is the Latest I think

I like the idea of the video tag - No flash so there will be less slowdowns.  I don't hate flash but it gets on my nerves some times, especially fully flash websites  :P

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
          I have Chrome 6.0.472.55 installed on my laptop with Win Vista. It scored 217.  An update to version 6.0.472.62 is available but I have not installed it yet.