Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System runs slow when I have disk in dvd drive?  (Read 2577 times)

Crafty

System runs slow when I have disk in dvd drive?
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:30:35 AM »
I have never ever seen this problem before posted and wondered if someone here can work it out for me. It's been going on for sometime, but I just kept on forgetting to post it on here. What happens is this... When I have any DVD or cdrom disk in my DVD rw drive my internet explorer and out look express take ages to open, it takes like 2 minutes just to open the google home page. With no disks in it is fine and all works great. What do you think causes this? Thanks

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: System runs slow when I have disk in dvd drive?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:45:50 AM »
Does the LED indicator on the CD/DVD drive indicate the drive is being accessed while this happens?  Is there motor noise?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:23 AM »
Does the LED indicator on the CD/DVD drive indicate the drive is being accessed while this happens?  Is there motor noise?

No, the light goes off and no motor noise is heard. Can I also add that this happens only when I boot the machine up with a dvd that's been left in the DVD drive on shutdown. If I boot it up without a DVD in the drive and then add a DVD once it is booted, it's ok. So for some reason it doesn't like me to leave a DVD in the drive. Not a big problem, but rather an  annoying one.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:53:11 AM »

It sounds like have the CD/DVD drive set up to 'Boot from CD' in the BIOS. When you boot up your PC it is trying to read the disc before it boots, but in saying that, the disc drive should make a sound like its reading the disc.

To avoid annoyance, take out the disc before shutdown!!  :P
11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:26 AM »
Run msconfig and choose "selective startup" (disable all startup items) and reboot. Then open Outlook or IE. Do they open normally or slowly?