Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trojan horse blocked  (Read 11036 times)

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

trojan horse blocked
    « on: September 16, 2010, 08:28:25 AM »
    hi,

i have a pc with xp professional, sp3.  i have had avast running real-time, as well as nightly scans, for the past few months (i previously used symantec).  today is the first time avast has found anything.  i got two pop-up messages, 15 minutes apart:

"trojan horse blocked...  avast! web shield has blocked a harmful webpage or file..."

the web shield report file contains two entries, with the same link:

9/16/2010 10:18:01 AM   http://load.exelator.com/load/?p=104&g=060&admeld_user_id=92204ede-0025-45b3-8fcf-50c42f0b5e29&admeld_dataprovider_id=3&admeld_callback=http%3A%2F%2Ftag%2Eadmeld%2Ecom%2Fpixel [L] JS:Small-I [trj] (0)

9/16/2010 10:33:08 AM   http://load.exelator.com/load/?p=104&g=060&admeld_user_id=92204ede-0025-45b3-8fcf-50c42f0b5e29&admeld_dataprovider_id=3&admeld_callback=http%3A%2F%2Ftag%2Eadmeld%2Ecom%2Fpixel [L] JS:Small-I [trj] (0)

i am using chrome, with multiple tabs open.  is there any way to know which website, or which ad on a website, this is coming from?  and is there anything i should do to block it, besides keeping avast running?

thanks in advance for your help!

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: trojan horse blocked
      « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »
      ok, it's happened 20 times now, and i'm pretty sure it's coming from nypost.com, as every time i click on an article, or even just refresh a page from that site, the avast pop-up appears.  anything to do, other than email their tech support (which i just did)?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:28 AM »
      If it's a known and trusted site it could be a false positive. I don't use Avast, but there must be a way to prevent specific sites from being monitored.

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
        i check that site every day, and today is the first time i've had a problem.  so, without knowing for sure that it's a false positive, i'm weary of excluding that url.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »
        May I ask, how long have you've been using avast? Downloaded?
        And what do you mean by this... 
        today is the first time avast has found anything.

(i previously used symantec).

Is this program/software removed? Totally?

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »
          not sure why you ask, but...  i've been using avast since mid-july.  the program and the virus definitions are current...  i removed symantec (probably via "add and remove programs", i don't remember).  totally?  i don't know...  and what i mean by "today is the first time avast has found anything" is exactly as it sounds-- in two months of real-time protection no viruses have been found, and the real-time shields haven't found any infections, until this issue today...

i emailed nypost.com's tech support and filed a ticket online with avast.  neither of them responded to me, so i don't know which end the issue was on, but the problem seems to have cleared up...

thanks.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
          Regarding your symantec : http://www.speedbit.com/Symantec_Security_Response.htm
          It may pertain to your particular issue. On how to remove completely registry files and other components from previous anti-virus software.
          HOWEVER, Do not follow already certain procedures on how to remove certain registry found on this site. Wait for some clarifications on other members or moderators on this.
          It may need some approval and technical guide if its the culprit. :)

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »
            are you trying to get me to INSTALL adware???
            that link is NOT from symantec's website.
            as far as i can tell, it has nothing to do with uninstalling symantec.
            and what does that have to do with the issue i had earlier today?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
            are you trying to get me to INSTALL adware???
            No.
            Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package which automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertisements to a computer. These advertisements can be in the form of a pop-up. The object of the Adware is to generate revenue for its author. Adware, by itself, is harmless; however, some adware may come with integrated spyware such as keyloggers and other privacy-invasive software. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware)
            Advertising functions are integrated into or bundled with the software, which is often designed to note what Internet sites the user visits and to present advertising pertinent to the types of goods or services featured there. Adware is usually seen by the developer as a way to recover development costs, and in some cases it may allow the software to be provided to the user free of charge or at a reduced price. The income derived from presenting advertisements to the user may allow or motivate the developer to continue to develop, maintain and upgrade the software product. Conversely, the advertisements may be seen by the user as interruptions or annoyances, or as distractions from the task at hand.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware)
            that link is NOT from symantec's website

The website referred was about how symantec installs certain adware and on how to remove certain files not abled on add/remove programs on control panel.

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »
              i don't need a definition of adware.

no, those instructions are a copy of symantec's instructions on how to remove the "download accelerator plus" adware, which is made by speedbit.com, the link you sent me....

i am not having a problem with pop-up ads.  i was getting the avast pop-up notifying me of a trojan horse.  an issue which i have already explained has been cleared up.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
              and what does that have to do with the issue i had earlier today?

Programs have been developed to detect, quarantine, and remove spyware, including Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor and Spybot - Search & Destroy. In addition, almost all commercial antivirus software currently detect adware and spyware, or offer a separate spyware detection package. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware)

Which means it may have come from your previous anti-virus(symantec) as explained on  
              http://www.speedbit.com/Symantec_Security_Response.htm
              and may have been detected by your current antivirus(avast)

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
                moderator, please?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
                I'm not a moderator, but maybe I can help with something that is actually relevant! :)

Here is the <REAL> symantec removal tool:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

I have no idea wether it will do any good; I doubt this problem is caused by symantec "leftovers" (it doesn't make any sense that having a few files leftover from an symantec install would cause a completely separate AV product to start detecting malware on otherwise benign websites).

While Allan is correct in that it could be a false positive, I don't believe so. From the looks of it, Avast has found links on the page to the URLs you posted- these are malicious sites for certain, with any number of complaints regarding them online, and via WOT

The reason I don't think it's a false positive is because Avast simply cannot pull a fully formed URL like that out of nowhere- it's almost certainly on the page. The question is how did it get there, especially on a site like nytimes.com?

I had a similar problem, although I discovered it a different way. I was working on any number of HTML files, and UltraEdit kept asking me over and over wether it would like me to reload the changes to the file (although I hadn't changed it). I noticed that there was an extra line of script being plopped on the end of all HTML files, including those downloaded by visiting web pages- that essentially tried to perform a drive-by download and infection.

These files were all flagged as "spyware" by malwarebytes, and I managed to clean them, but they were the result of a much worse infection that ended up requiring me to reformat and reinstall everything.

Basically, While AVG is catching one of the symptoms, it might not be catching the disease (no AV is perfect, after all). I'd recommend running a scan with another tool for a second opinion, like malwarebytes (yes, it was recommended by mister "I like to talk about adware for no good reason" but it is actually a good tool)

Of course this is all assuming that is the cause- as you mentioned it could very well be an ad- but I don't think a site like nytimes would affiliate themselves with malicious ads. If you want to find out, you can search for the URL in the source file.

When you get the warning/trojan horse message from Avast again, view the source of the page (usually View->Source, in Chrome you can Right-click a blank area and choose "view page source"). Then do a search in the source for the URL it gave.

If it appears at the very bottom of the file in a little <script>  tag or something, you're almost certainly infected. If not, well, you probably still have something nasty on your computer. because I really can't think of a good reason for a well-trafficked site like that to start showing popups alike you've described.

I hope this helps! :)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
                  thanks for a real reply!  :)   (and btw, was i right in my responses to "mr. adware," as you called him?  i may be a "rookie" as far as this stuff is concerned, but i'm no idiot.  but if i was wrong, i would feel bad for getting annoyed with him.)

i agree (with my limited knowledge of this) that leftover symantec stuff from an uninstall should not have caused this error.

actually, it was not nyTIMES.com, but nyPOST.com-- also a well-trafficked site, i would assume, but definitely no new york times, as far as standards (or content!) go...  and there weren't pop-ups on the site, i just got the avast "pop-up notification."   but not long after i emailed both nypost and avast, the issue seemed to clear.  i just clicked on some nypost links now without problem.  so, my guess is that either allan was right and avast fixed their false-positive, or more likely, nypost got other complaints, and removed the offending ad.  that's just my guess.

but i do have both super-anti-spyware and malwarebytes on my computer.  i haven't run either in a couple weeks, so i will definitely do that tonight.

and if this does occur again, i will attempt to decipher the page source.

also, it is my intention to go through the full "virus and spyware removal procedures" next week, and post the log results in a separate topic, to get a "clean bill of health" (i had another problem posted in the windows xp forum, which is now fixed, so that was my next step anyway)...

thanks for your help, bc_programmer!

becca

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »
                    bc_programmer:   i just found this info which seems to explain the issue!
                    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63985.0
                    i hope this is correct and my system is clean :) 

thanks again.