Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Older LGA 775 motherboard recommendations  (Read 2367 times)

Allochthonous

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Older LGA 775 motherboard recommendations
    « on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
    I am looking for a replacement motherboard for my HTPC. I need something Intel LGA 775 that will support a Celeron D (352). It must have SATA and a PCIe slot. I have 1 GB of DDR2 533, and 512 MB of DDR2 533 as well as 1 GB of DDR 667 and 512 MB of the same, so support for either speed would be great. I would prefer onboard digital audio, but this is not a huge issue, as I can always add a card if necessary. microATX form factor. This is pretty much all i need.

Since these are "legacy" specs, it's hard to find something in the primary market where items are fully detailed and reviewed. Therefore, I am flying blind in the secondary market without specific model numbers.

Anyone have any suggestions to investigate?

Thanks

PK

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Older LGA 775 motherboard recommendations
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »
    Your wastin your money continuing to support that CPU...

However this is just my opinion...others may have better advice...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allochthonous

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:29:46 AM »
      Please explain.

I have already spent $30 trying to get this current motherboard to support more than 1 GB of RAM, even though every resource tells me that it should support up to 2 GB.  I need to keep my costs low.  As a result, I assumed that my lowest cost option would be to replace the motherboard, since all of the other components appear to be functional.

Are you suggesting that I can get a newer motherboard AND CPU (that will support my RAM) for a similar cost?

PK

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:58:49 AM »
      Yes...that in my opinion would be a better investment as your upgrading both at once...
      Being limited to the CPU you have cuts down your choices drastically yet you would still be spending money.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allochthonous

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:05:50 AM »
        I understand where you are coming from.  I just assumed that the cheapest way out would be to replace the motherboard only.

My main issue with the combo option is that I do not want to have to buy RAM.