Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8 freezing problems  (Read 3738 times)

JooBear

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Internet Explorer 8 freezing problems
    « on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
    I E 8, Windows XP
    constantly freezes and then"this tab has been recovered" appears

Please help with a detailed reply  Thank you!

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Internet Explorer 8 freezing problems
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:10:09 AM »
    First, use an application like 'Lavasoft Ad-Aware' to check for any spyware, rootkits or browser hi-jacks.

If nothing detected, identify if you have any bad or conflicting browser BHO's (Browser Helper Object)...

In Internet Explorer by clicking on Tools, then Manage Add-Ons.

First disable Microsoft's own Spyware like 'Research', 'Discuss' and the annoying 'Microsoft Live Sign-in helper' if it's there.

Temporary disable:
    1) Any 'Java' Plugins
    2) Any 'Adobe' Link Helpers
    3) Any 'IEMonitorBHO' Plugins like download manager helpers, etc
    4) Any item with '(Not Verified)' labeled on it

Update your Shockwave and/or Flash Plugins if you use them.

If one or more of them are the cause then remove, re-install or update them, re-enable those others which you use and consisted safe.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:07:26 AM »
    1) Ignore the above post. First of all, AdAware has not been a viable option for years. The current best of breed for spyware scanning are MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware. Second, to run IE without add-ons all you have to do is go to START - RUN and type: Type iexplore -extoff (then press ENTER).

2) Try a different browser (ie, Firefox, Opera) and see if the problem persists.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »
    I understand Ad-Aware has lost it's former high standing but, otherwise, Azzaboi's post seems like a logical troubleshooting approach.  Simply running IE with all add-ons turned off could proove that one or more add-ons were the cause of the problem but it would not reveal which specific add-on was the cause.  More troubleshooting would be needed, and that seems to be the logic behind Azzaboi's post.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
    I understand Ad-Aware has lost it's former high standing but, otherwise, Azzaboi's post seems like a logical troubleshooting approach.  Simply running IE with all add-ons turned off could proove that one or more add-ons were the cause of the problem but it would not reveal which specific add-on was the cause.  More troubleshooting would be needed, and that seems to be the logic behind Azzaboi's post.
    I agree that running IE without add ons makes sense. It's his instructions on how to get there that I'm correcting. But thanks for the input.