Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring Files From Windows 98 to a portable disc  (Read 5698 times)

sassie

Transferring Files From Windows 98 to a portable disc
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
I have gotten a newer computer and am trying to transfer my files from my windows 98 to a portable disc.  My 98 you cannot transfer/send files to the disc.  The salesman at Best Buy told me to try a portable disc and pull the files over, but I cannot figure it out.  Is there an easy way to do it, or will I have to pay someone to do it for me?  Some of the files I really need to keep. 
Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Transferring Files From Windows 98 to a portable disc
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
I don't understand - why can't you copy your files to the removable drive?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Transferring Files From Windows 98 to a portable disc
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:49:09 AM »
I have gotten a newer computer and am trying to transfer my files from my windows 98 to a portable disc.  My 98 you cannot transfer/send files to the disc.  The salesman at Best Buy told me to try a portable disc and pull the files over, but I cannot figure it out.  Is there an easy way to do it, or will I have to pay someone to do it for me?  Some of the files I really need to keep. 
Thanks

What <Exactly> have you tried to do? Are you trying to burn a disc? If so you need software that can burn files to the disk (Win98 does not have built-in support for disk burning).

Same for Removable drives (USB) of any sort; you'll need the appropriate driver for the device.

You can find generic USB Storage drivers here be sure to choose the one that matches your edition.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.