Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't uninstall prgms or shut down computer, updates keep running. HELP!!!  (Read 2868 times)

boltsfan

Topic Starter

I am using a Toshiba Satellite and  run Vista Home Premium. I did a system restore awhile back and ever since the only way I can shut off my laptop is by holding the power button down. When I try to shut it down properly it just says, "shutting down" and keeps running forever. The same thing happens when I try to uninstall a program, it says uninstalling but nothing ever happens. I would like to go back to factory settings and erase all programs I have installed but I don't have my startup disks. Is there a fix to this issue? If so I would really appreciate the help.

Thank you so much,
    Steve
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:42:31 PM by boltsfan »

boltsfan

Topic Starter

Re: Can't uninstall prgms, shut down computer, and lots of stuff wacky. HELP!!!
      « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »
      Oh yeah, sometimes my laptop will just shutdown for no apparent reason and it never did this before. Thanks

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Can't uninstall prgms or shut down computer, updates keep running. HELP!!!
      « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »
      I would stop wasting time and save any needed files and then restore the system with restore disks. Then run all windows updates and get protected for virus and malware. (in that order).

A new clean OS is conducive to a good relationship  :-*
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:57:02 AM »
      I would like to go back to factory settings and erase all programs I have installed but I don't have my startup disks.

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:11:02 AM »

ORDER the disks from toshiba, you need them anyway.
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.