Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP  professional switching it to Home  (Read 2965 times)

GaelstormIRA

Windows XP  professional switching it to Home
« on: July 31, 2005, 04:09:20 AM »
Hi I know it sounds strange, but I need help with switching my windows XP profession back to Home, with the Windows XP Home upgrade disc.  Is this possible at all?  If it is, please help me if you can, and remember that I am somewhat good with computers but I will need it explained to where it is almost for a moron.  Thank you.

Raptor

Re: Windows XP  professional switching it to
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 08:16:59 AM »
Hi I know it sounds strange, but I need help with switching my windows XP profession back to Home, with the Windows XP Home upgrade disc.  Is this possible at all?  If it is, please help me if you can, and remember that I am somewhat good with computers but I will need it explained to where it is almost for a moron.  Thank you.

Not without reformatting.

I do not see in why you want to, as Windows XP Professional contains all the features of Home and more. You will not notice the difference.

uisquebeathus

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 08:23:31 AM »
You can format the drive reinstall windows 98se then reinstall the upgrade setup.
you can install the xp home to exist as another operating system, the main problem is that it is an upgrade cd it will not upgrade back from xp pro as that is the better operating system.

Why would you want to go backwards to the Home Edition, the Pro edition is better in a lot of ways security and network  components are superior for a start.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 10:00:50 AM »
You don't need to install '98se to install XP.

What was, or is, the original installation on your computer?

To install an XP upgrade you need to have the previous operating system CD as qualifying media and then you can do a clean install.

Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:04:23 AM »
Why do you need to go back to Home Edition? What are the problems you are experiencing with XP Professional?

Let us all hope that the peace holds now in Eire.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 10:30:29 AM »
Yes, Erin go Bragh.  ;D

Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
Éire go brách, Éireann go Brách, or, Éirin gu bràth

merlin_2

GaelstormIRA

Re: Windows XP  professional switching it to Home
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »
Would a WinXP HOME, Reinstallation disc work for me if it is not from my computer, but I have the product key for the upgrade disc I have?  I mean can I reformat it and just use that disc?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 05:24:10 AM »
If:

1. You have a fully functional Windows XP upgrade
2. You have the means to authorize yourself (Windows 98(SE), Windows ME or Windows 2000 CD-ROM)
3. You have a valid product number.

You can reformat and reinstall the operating system.