Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming mouse.  (Read 7139 times)

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Gaming mouse.
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
I've been playing DDO alot.  It's my first online game I've ever played with a keyboard and mouse and I'm thinking about spending some money on a mouse.  Do any of you have favorites or ones not to buy?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Gaming mouse.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
I use a Logitech MX620. The Logitech G5 is a bit more expensive but is very popular.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
I use the g500.   A little overkill but still a good mouse.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »
Logitech have some quite good gamers mice which last gaming.
Razer is better quality for hardcore gaming.
Razer mousepad are great for any lazer mouse.

Depends on features and the cost you want to spend.

First look at:

Tracking Resolution - 1800dpi+ is good

Image Processing - 5.8 megapixels/second+ is good

Max Acceleration / Max Speed / Responsiveness - if your a First Person Shooter styled player but likes snipering you might want a speed toggle control. Some gaming mouse have weights which you can add/remove to change the feel and control. This all depends on your style of playing.

Durability - 10 million clicks+ / 250 kilometers+, more the better life span!
Aaron's Game Zone
The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
I've been playing DDO alot.  It's my first online game I've ever played with a keyboard and mouse and I'm thinking about spending some money on a mouse.  Do any of you have favorites or ones not to buy?

Personally, I've never found any of the fancy "gamer mice" to be particularly useful. This goes double for the keyboards that separated or do weird things to the WASD keys (which is particularly useless to me because I have settled on ESDF (one key over) for reasons that I have long forgotten and are probably no longer relevant.)

For the most part, a standard two-button plus wheel mouse has proven sufficient, for all of my needs. The important thing for me is to balance "gamability" with conventional usability- keyboards designed for gaming are never particularly well suited for PHP or C# programming. An exception might be made for mice, which often have all sorts of new buttons that you can bind; and the "sensitivity" thumbwheel that is present on some. Personally I find some dongles rather useless; for example, ratehr then having to fiddle with a thumbwheel in any sort of "sniper" mode, I generally just change the binding for my zoom key to decrease sensitivity when I zoom in and restore it when I zoom out. IMO "sensitivity" ratings on any scale are overrated. Even the oldest serial mouse has pixel-perfect sensitivity on any attainable resolution, and I've found that mice that purport "higher sensitivity" simply mean I have to reduce my mouse speed slider. More sensitive? probably. Necessary? Not so much, I don't think.

for wireless mice/keyboards, once should pay particular attention to the battery life; last thing you want is to suddenly lose mouse control because your batteries die in the middle of a firefight! (that actually happened to me once, I managed to escape using the keyboard to strafe away from danger, since my opponent was far less at home in "The Abandoned Base" map. I hid in the water and nearly drowned while I was changing the batteries of the mouse though. Good times. Some people even advocate having a "backup" mouse plugged in in case of that eventuality. Of course since I spent most of my time in Visual Studio tracking down bugs rather then in Quake tracking down opponents it doesn't fit with my use pattern very well. But this thread is hardly about my use pattern.

Personally, I consider "gamer" designed keyboards and mice to be entirely vain and mostly a cash cow for their manufacturers. I'd garner that some "gamer" lines are really just their standard hardware thrown into a glossy black casing, with a name that uses far too many X's and Z's to be considered grammatically sound.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

HyeinJi

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
    Hello

I have played counter strike source professionally(2002). (No questions about that please) I have basically tried all mouse out there, and I am a mouse freak, so I have wasted a lot of money on tons of mice, luckily I have been able to sell them forward.

The first thing you should think about is the mouse shape. Most people like ergonomic mice. They are made for right or left hand, and they are really comfortable. Personally, I think those mice are bad for your hand. I like the hybrid ambidextrous mice. (made for left and right hand) The ambidextrous mice are symmetrical, they are the same on both sides. (I would like to mention that a lot of pro games as well like both types. There is no mouse type that is better than other mice, speaking of shape that is)

After you have found out what kind of shape, you should try to get a feel of your DPI preference. Some people are way too hung up on buying mice with high DPI. The truth is, that the DPI is way too high for most monitors to even discover. The movements with high DPI mice, lets say 6000DPI. The mouse has higher resolution than the monitor, which makes it a waste of money...

I just want to point out that there are still some, or a lot of pro games that still use the good old microsoft intellimouse. It has 400DPI (VERY LOW), and they still play better worse or the same as other pros.

The thing is, you need to find a mouse that fits your feel and preference.

I am using the Steelseries XAI mouse. It is a bit overpriced. But it is ambidextrous, and it has a better sensor than the microsoft intellimouse 1.1. I have my DPI at about 2000.

One more thing. Choosing a mouse, almost most important is to save money. There are 10000 shops that sell the mice, and the price is allways different. Find the cheapest one, and hopefully you have planned your buy for a nice mouse you will be happy with. :)

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
    One more thing. Choosing a mouse, almost most important is to save money.

A "gaming" mouse will almost never be cheap. And trying to save money on a mouse isn't the way to go either. You'll find yourself spending more money repeated changing that mouse than you would just buying a quality mouse to begin with.

Again, not all expensive mice are worth it either. The Silverstone Raven gaming mouse has got to be one of the worst mice I've ever had.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »
    I was told wireless mouse not as good as wired mouse for gaming. Is this true?

I know many gaming mouse are wireless like ones made by Logitech.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
    I was told wireless mouse not as good as wired mouse for gaming. Is this true?

I know many gaming mouse are wireless like ones made by Logitech.

I suppose at one point it was, but the wireless technology for mice has improved so much that most people wouldn't know the difference.

kennyfreid

• Watch Victorious Online
    « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 04:52:37 AM »
    A4 Tech X7 - Best ever!!!

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »
    A4 Tech X7 - Best ever!!!

My personal opinion, A4 equipment is rubbish.

nitelife2989

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »
      my personal favorite mouse is a sidewinder mouse made by Microsoft it has a bunch of neat features such as the ability to change the weight of the mouse or DPI setting between 3 settings  400, 800, or 2000.
      takes a little getting use to but is a very nice mouse and definitely worth looking at.

tappingtherapy

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »
      ever tried the Razer products?

mort91

Starter

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:34 AM »
        I use a prestigo gaming mouse that I picked up quite cheap on ebay.

You should do a search there for some cheap mouses.