Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wiped my hard drive with Killdisk  (Read 2511 times)

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
  • Experience: Familiar
Wiped my hard drive with Killdisk
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »
And now I have another problem. It seems after completely erasing your hard drive on an old computer you're wanting to sell, certain things need to be done in order to reload an OS. To complicate matters, I accidentally unplugged my floppy drive and now after re-plugging it, it shows fail on reboot. The reason for the un plug was, I have two cd drives, one a DVD burner and the original CD drive that had quit working. I thought by unplugging the defunct one, the computer would only see the one that was plugged in. I accidentally unplugged the floppy and now upon booting even after hooking it back up I get a floppy drive failure 40 message. What to do?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wiped my hard drive with Killdisk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
...I accidentally unplugged the floppy and now upon booting even after hooking it back up I get a floppy drive failure 40 message. What to do?
You've hooked it up wrong, look again.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
I thought the same thing and have hooked it up as many ways as possible meaning reversing the way it's plugged in etc. I've used the original plug, the alternative plug at the end of the ribbon and nothing works. I'm not saying I'm not doing something wrong but I can't seem to get it right.

The Bubba

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• BIG BLUE HEAVEN
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I've googled this a couple of times and evidently my floppy has bit the dust. If you've got the ribbon connector on wrong, the light on the floppy will stay on after the computer is booted. If it's connected right it should flash at leasr once when booting.  It's staying on continuous when connected a certain way but not flashing when reversed? I guess I'll try and make a CD boot disc. Just thought I'd throw this out there for others to read. It's amazing what a time killer a person can get into sometimes trying to do something that should be fairly simple.