Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Change Software Config and then Install  (Read 2209 times)

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Change Software Config and then Install
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
I need to find some software that will allow me to un-compile and then re-compile software installation packages. The goal here is to send/push out software to the users on our system and have them install the software with the configuration we want them to have. I.E. we have AVG 11 Business that I need specific configurations on that will connect the PC to our admin console. I can push the software silently but it installs with the default configuration. If I could un-compile it, I could edit it and then send with my settings. Any ideas?
Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Change Software Config and then Install
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »
I do not know if this will help but 7-zip seems to be able to open most of the setup files I have as if they were zip files.

Edit: I just realized, it is probably against the license agreement to edit the installer.
Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Change Software Config and then Install
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
I actually have a support request in for the AVG exe. But I also have some company owned software from the previous SA, but cannot track down the actually uncompiled files. I have used 7-zip for years and never knew it could do that, but it did. How awesome. The AVG doesn't have any text based config files so I will have to wait on their response on that but for my exe's that is exactly what I needed. Thanks
Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!