Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Newly aquired, old, non-booting PC project. Where to start?  (Read 6795 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Newly aquired, old, non-booting PC project. Where to start?
« on: October 01, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »
I previously had all my PC'c listed in my specs and some in my signature but the list got too long, so I quit adding the rescues  ;D to the list. But I found another today that I'd like to resurect, if possible. Thanks for any help/ suggestions/ directions on this project.

It's in a non-indentity ATX full case with AOpen AX63 PRO motherboard.. Pentium III (and the CPU cooling fan motor has obviously not operated anytime near the latter operating time of this machine).
When powered up the HD runs and the AGP video card (XPert 2000 Pro Ultra 32MB) sends the wake signal to the ''known good' monitor but no graphics are displayed.

I tried exchanging the single memory module (3 slots available), with 3 different 'known good' sdram memory modules from another similar (sdram) machine I have, but no joy. ( All 3 attempts installed in the socket that the original memory was installed in, lowest position on the motherboard).

I installed a 'known good' Pentium 2 CPU but still no joy.

I also tried removing the battery to reset the bios to defalt but no joy.

I did have an AGP video card around here somewhere but with old age ruling my parts inventory control, there's no telling where it is?  :(

What's the next logical troubleshooting proceedure before I start spending $ on this project, which will obviously have a limit at some point pretty quick.  ;D ...
But if this machine can be resurected, I'll get my fun out of doing it just because it's what I like to do, and I know a lower income family with kids who have old pre-historic PC's that I wouldn't even waISTE TIME ON TRYING TO SALVAGE.

tHANKS AGAIN,
mIKE

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Re: Newly aquired, old, non-booting PC project. Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
TIME ON TRYING TO SALVAGE.

tHANKS AGAIN,
mIKE

Sorry for  the caps. Trying to edit anything in the latter text of a long post on this board is like trying to pick up a ball of mercury off of a cheese grater ... but that will be another thread.  ;)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »
Does it give a POST beep?  If no, is there a speaker/sounder inside the PC as sometimes they don't have any.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Yes there is 1 long, 3 short beeps. But since my original post I mamaged to get it to boot to the BIOS set-up screen and then onto start Windows. But then I found that my optical drive would not open so I shut it down in order to fix that issue and now it's back to no boot and beeping 1 long / 3 short.
This thing is in bad need of cleaning. I pulled everything from tree leaves to beetle bugs out of it. I'm out of compressed air so I'm going to get some tommorrow and give this baby a badly needed blowing out. We'll see if that helps any.
I'm at work right now so I can't work on it but I'm going to search to try to find out more information on this issue.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:21:27 AM »
Yes there is 1 long, 3 short beeps.

Usually indicates either a bad video card or bad video memory. It doesn't have an onboard video card, so try swapping out the AGP card. The board is over 10 years old, and that card came out around 2002/2003, so it might well be giving up the ghost.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
so it might well be giving up the ghost.
Not yet. Good news: After I got off work this morning I went by WalMart and got a can of compressed air, came back to the room, completely disassembled everything (removed mboard, PS, ect). I blew out 2 dead spiders, more tree leaves and a hubcap that looks like it may be from a 1972 Volkswagen Beetle  J/K  ;D
 After re-assembly she booted right up and Windows 98 is running just fine.  :)
Now I'm going to remove the P2 and put the P3 back in to see if it's still alive.
Wow, so far this dinosaur impresses me with it's speed to be so old.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll post back with the progress.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
Guess it could have just been a bad video card connection.  ;D

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
Probably so. I forgot to mention I found a blown-out 18 wheeler tire in the bottom of the video card socket.  :o

Update: I fell asleep earlier so I haven't got much more done. But I did get the Pentium 3 back in and it works fine. I'm using the non-fan heat sink from the P2 machine until I can find a cooling fan for an Intel slot1 CPU.

I installed a 2nd CD drive , and a DVD drive. I'm currently upgrading Windows 98 to XP-SP3 so that may be all I get done today. Got to work again tonight (7 nights for 6 weeks now).  >:(

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
Sorry for  the caps. Trying to edit anything in the latter text of a long post on this board is like trying to pick up a ball of mercury off of a cheese grater ... but that will be another thread.  ;)
Now open here  :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
Just an FYI, it can be hard to find Slot 1 PIII's, the fans are usually integral with the assembly.  But Socket 370 PIII's are plentiful.  You need this adapter:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/456
http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/616251/Slotket-Roundup.htm
I use one on my PIII overlocked from 700MHz to 933MHz

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »

The AGP slot design is known to be prone to contact problems. Always a good idea to check seating and to cover an empty slot when using an air can,

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
Stop cryin about the Forum layout.
And for someone seeking assistance i can honestly say i've never seen an 18 wheeler tire inside a PC case...even one with an AGP slot.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
Just an FYI, it can be hard to find Slot 1 PIII's, the fans are usually integral with the assembly.  But Socket 370 PIII's are plentiful.  You need this adapter:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/456
http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/616251/Slotket-Roundup.htm
I use one on my PIII overlocked from 700MHz to 933MHz
I want it, and it looks like I'll need a socket 370 PIII also anyway. Since I posted last the PC has frozen several times with the PIII installed (likely fried from operating without the cooling fan funtional). It runs fine with the PII but it's slow (350 MHz). Do you have a link to the best place to purchase these? I found a refurbished socket 370 PIII here, but I know nothing about the seller. Ill buy the adapter from whoever you recommed.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
Stop cryin about the Forum layout.

;D If you clicked the link I posted you see I'm not the only user that get's aggrevated with this issue including several long term users around here. I know this thread isn't the proper place to post about it, but I spent an excessive amount of my limited time on my first post in this thread because of it, (and yes I was aggrevated), that's why I started that thread after I started this this one.  :)

And for someone seeking assistance i can honestly say i've never seen an 18 wheeler tire inside a PC case...even one with an AGP slot.
It suprised me. I really didn't think it would have fit but I guess it did only because it was off the rim.  ;D

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »
1 - Where can I find a user manual for this AOpen AX63 Pro motherboard? I've searched the AOpen site and googled with no joy?

2- I have a problem with the Award BIOS in the optical drives configuration. In the settings it gives the command option for "change value" as PD/PU/+/-. exactly what key am I suppose to hit to accomplish this change. I don't understand what it's requesting.

3-  I have installed 2-256Mb PC133 SDRAM modules and 1-128Mb PC133 module. Everest Home shows all 3 modules As active but the total physical memory is only 383mb, I tried swapping memory modules with known good modules but I still can't get it to acklowdege more than this. If my sesearch is correct, this MB should support 1.25 G. What to try now?

Thanks, Mike