Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Access- Pass word login.  (Read 4980 times)

dj-allen

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Experience: Experienced
Microsoft Access- Pass word login.
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:16:43 AM »
I am trying to make a Access data base that has a pass word when open it up. With different user levels. But I am not having much luck. Can you help me out that would be to cool. Thanks Allen

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Microsoft Access- Pass word login.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:36:46 AM »
What version of Access?  When you answer, I believe I can help with setting a password. 

Can you elaborate on what you want regarding "different user levels"?  That part, I have doubts about.

dj-allen

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »
What version of Access?  When you answer, I believe I can help with setting a password. 

Can you elaborate on what you want regarding "different user levels"?  That part, I have doubts about.

I am using 2007. I want the password to unlock only some of the tables and stuff. So only people that I want. Will be able to get in to the info that I say they can get in to. If you look at the Northwind 2007 temp you will see what I want but with a pass word. But not a drop down. a box that they put the user name in to and then the pass word.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:04:43 PM »
Open Access's Help and search on setting password. From the search findings, select Encrypt a database by using a database password and follow the procedure for password-protecting a database.  This will create a password for the entire database but will not provide a way to limit access to certain tables to certain users.  To accomplish that objective, I think I would create separate databases to give access to certain data to certain users and password-protect each database or control access via separate user accounts in Windows.  These separate databases could contain tables that are linked to the master database, thus avoiding the need to update them separately.

dj-allen

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
ok well thanks for the help but i want to figure this out. I know I can do it I just have to wright the code for it. I am taking software development and I will make the software if I have to and make it use a SQL database. Thanks for the help.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
ok well thanks for the help but i want to figure this out. I know I can do it I just have to wright the code for it. I am taking software development and I will make the software if I have to and make it use a SQL database. Thanks for the help.

What you are saying makes no sense. an SQL database is completely unrelated to Access, and "wrighting" code, while certainly possible to achieve this goal, is completely vain when the options are right in front of you to enable this functionality.

Basically, you are being handed a set of four wheels to build a car, and you are rejecting it in favour of building a truck. That is, you ask about access, and then suddenly decide you are writing your own software that uses an SQL database. Of course at that point any help given to you regarding your original topic becomes redundant because you've changes the requirements.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

dj-allen

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
I know I am sorry for the the trouble.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »
I know I am sorry for the the trouble.

No trouble, I suppose, just rather confusing.

anyway, what Programming language do you intend to make this software in? (and you noted SQL, would that be SQL Server, mySQL, etc)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

dj-allen

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
I dont really know I am just geting in to the Software stuff. I dont know what I will do. I just dont know no more. I am sorry.