Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express problem....  (Read 4165 times)

videoholic

Outlook Express problem....
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:27:45 AM »
Hi! I have a unique problem with Outlook Express (vers. 6) that even my cable company cannot figure out. I can receive messages OK, but when I go to REPLY or SEND some messages, I get an error saying "Message Cannot Be Send.  An Error has Occured."  There is no error number.  I can send some emails but not others.  I am using Windows XP on a 1-year old HP Computer.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: Outlook Express problem....
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 12:23:47 PM »
    Is this a problem that just started happening? Or has it always been there? If it's new, reinstalling OE might be a start (be sure to back up your messages, contacts, etc. before doing this). Odd that the error message isn't giving you more info.
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

videoholic

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 12:32:32 PM »
    Thanks for your reply.  This problem just began about a week ago.  My cable provider also said that it's strange that the error message is not giving any more info.  Now, the $1000 question: how can I re-install ONLY Outlook Express without installing Internet Explorer too?

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:16:57 AM »
      That I'm not sure about - I use Outlook, not Outlook Express. Hopefully someone else can post the answer for you. Good luck.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 01:18:40 PM »
      So why have you posted twice frank!

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 02:04:59 PM »
        Just trying to help, Merl. You should try doing that sometime - instead of trying to write help for people when you can't string together a sentence. Do you ever read your own posts, governor?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 03:17:33 PM »
          videoholic...... Odd , usually if you can receive ,but can't send it suggests that perhaps ......there is something wrong with you mail account setup ......  
          However before you go there ........do this....... If your O/S is XP ......turn off the system restore ......then reboot into SAFE mode and run a antvirus scan( make sure its a deep scan as opposed to a quick scan ) .....then run something like M/S antispyware Beta , Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot ......Remove anything found .......... NOW reboot back into NORMAL .......open Outlook Express .....click the tools button and select accounts .......... click mail tab and create a new mail account ( you will need the settings your ISP gave you to do this ) ....You can see the existing settings by clicking on the existing mail account .....by hi liting it and clicking on properties .....all the settings will be there ...........but if you have or had some sort of pest visit you ....these settings may not be correct ..........

Once you have the new mail account created .....delete the old one .........   Now shutdown and restart your pc and see if the issue is still there ..........  If its clear .........turn back on the system restore feature .

Let us know how you make out

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

videoholic

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 07:32:59 PM »
          Thanks for all the suggestions!  I did all that, and still nothing helped. I even reistalled OE 6 and IE 6, which I downloaded from Microsoft, and the problem is STILL there. It's getting even stranger...sometimes when I can't send a message, I change the title of the message by one letter, and the message will send OK!! This problem is not happening in Microsoft Outlook, so it's obviously a problem with Outlook Express ONLY.  Getting stranger and stranger......

mitchd

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 07:39:45 PM »
          I don't really have a solution but a work around.  What you can do is install Mozilla thunderbird email client. It's easy to use and best of it's free. I use and i have no problems. You can download it from.
          http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

There is also a good step by step guide here:
          http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/

This will however find out if the problem is with your email client or your computer

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »
          Recheck the isp/cables setttings........is this right frank!

videoholic

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
          Thanks for the reply.  I got Microsoft Outlook working and so far have had no problems sending any emails.  So I think that somehow my Outlook Express just got corrupted.  Funny that you mentioned Mozilla, because I use Firefox as my browser, it's SO much faster than IE!!  >>> Ray

]I don't really have a solution but a work around.  What you can do is install Mozilla thunderbird email client. It's easy to use and best of it's free. I use and i have no problems. You can download it from.
          http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

There is also a good step by step guide here:
          http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/

This will however find out if the problem is with your email client or your computer

[/quote]

videoholic

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 02:04:35 PM »
          I took your advice and downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird, and so far it has been flawless. I've figured out how to make it look like I want, but have one question: when I hit REPLY to an email, how do I increase the font size of the reply?  The type is so small I can barely see it, and I can't find anywhere in the program to change the font in the Reply box!  thanks, Ray