Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Add image restore to PC boot options.  (Read 6721 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Add image restore to PC boot options.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
Agreed.
However if he were to use an app that supported network backups (for individual workstations as they do ) he'd still be only a few keystrokes away and/or could schedule regular backups for said machines without searching for a boottime solution...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »
I would consider keeping the images for all the computers on a network drive (which Patio & ST already suggested) and a backup copy on a portable USB hard drive.  Many corporate networks are structured this way.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
Agreed.
However if he were to use an app that supported network backups (for individual workstations as they do ) he'd still be only a few keystrokes away and/or could schedule regular backups for said machines without searching for a boottime solution...

excellent point... somehow I missed that.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 09:54:44 AM »
All excellent points. When I first started here, 6 monthe ago,  all systems where outsourced and I am the first(and only) IT staff. When a PC (135 employees) crashed they simple put in a new one and wwent through about a 2 hour setup process. Not to mention the PC's they had are crap and they replaced a PC about 3 times a day, literally. So first thing I did was make sure all the PC's were coming from the same supplier and then put in a file server specifically for user storage and then of course structured my AD accordingly. Then I designed my generic clone killing the 2 hours for each PC. But with so many PC issues still in play I needed to figure out a way to get me more free time. So this is why I went this route. In January I will be buying a server strickly for imaging user PC's. But I just need to make till then. So that is why I have all the extra work. Seems like extra but for me it is actually less. I have looked at the Clonezilla and Acronis network cloning last night and I like both. I think I will toy with the Clonezilla first since it free and I still have alot to purchase here.
Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
Macrium Reflect is an excellent tool ....and IMHO far more user-friendly than CloneZilla....also Free.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "