Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OEM software purchased from site "B" legal?  (Read 15144 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: OEM software purchased from site "B" legal?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 01:38:14 AM »
Personally, getting all haughty on CH when people admit using pirated software is as far as I am prepared to go; ratting suppliers out to the BSA or whoever sounds a bit *censored*.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
Personally, getting all haughty on CH when people admit using pirated software is as far as I am prepared to go; ratting suppliers out to the BSA or whoever sounds a bit *censored*.

Well, I can see it with people, who might not even know they have a pirated install, but when we are talking, say, computer stores selling pirated copies as legit for the same price, that's more purposely dishonest in the name of profit; burn a 5 dollar CD (probably less) and poof, they sell it for 200+ dollars, of almost pure profit.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

OpenSource

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
    I believe the "OEM" in question is that they sell a speical version of windows, office, etc for system builders only.  Building a barebones kit makes you the "manufacturer".

Salmon Trout

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
    I believe the "OEM" in question is that they sell a speical version of windows, office, etc for system builders only.  Building a barebones kit makes you the "manufacturer".

Only if you can persuade Microsoft you are a commercial seller of complete computer systems.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
    WOW,   :o I certainly didn't expect all those kinds of responses. (I hope you guys are all friends still) To those of you that were honestly trying to help me solve my dilemma,  THANK YOU very much.   :)  I really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into it.  Always have.  I am deeply indebted to all of you members and experts that are willing to share your knowledge and talents with those  of us who are less informed.
    That being said, I have decided what I am going to do....I am going to trash the "OEM" copy of Office 2003 that I purchased from eBay (I will eat the $32.00) and go shopping for a legitimate copy.  I may have my price, but it is certainly not $32.00...(the older I get the higher it gets)  ;D  meanwhile my receipt from Newegg  calls my Windows 7  software as OEM, while the packing slip calls it DSP? ?   So I am keeping that for the time being..    :-\

I have another question; are the older versions of "Office"  all compatible with Windows 7 (64 bit)??

Thanks again guys..   I have learned a lot from all of you.   JIM
    You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
    Open Office is Free and compatible with all MS Office apps...

Or if you are a Student currently there are substantial discounts on all MS products.

Best of Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
    That being said, I have decided what I am going to do....I am going to trash the "OEM" copy of Office 2003 that I purchased from eBay (I will eat the $32.00) and go shopping for a legitimate copy.  I may have my price, but it is certainly not $32.00...(the older I get the higher it gets)  ;D

good call. 32$ definitely raises a LOT of questions; that's WAY too cheap, to me. At Patio says, you might want to also check out OpenOffice.

meanwhile my receipt from Newegg  calls my Windows 7  software as OEM, while the packing slip calls it DSP? ?   So I am keeping that for the time
    being..    :-\
    Yep, it's DSP; should be fine. Often times OEM us used erroneously and interchanged with "OEM".

I have another question; are the older versions of "Office"  all compatible with Windows 7 (64 bit)??

I can tell you that Office 2003 works on Win7 64-bit; I have it installed on this win7 machine and it works fine. I believe there are people running Office 97 just fine on win 7, as well.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »
    THAK YOU  both..  I will look into OpenOffice.  I though that I checked it once and I could only use to to read, not write or modify...   See ya  JIM
    You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Salmon Trout

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
    I am going to trash the "OEM" copy of Office 2003 that I purchased from eBay (I will eat the $32.00) and go shopping for a legitimate copy.  I may have my price, but it is certainly not $32.00...(the older I get the higher it gets)  ;D  meanwhile my receipt from Newegg  calls my Windows 7  software as OEM, while the packing slip calls it DSP? ?   So I am keeping that for the time being..

Hold on!!!

http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/faq.asp

DSP means "Delivery Service Partner". OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" and normally would have the hardware manufacturer's name stamped on it. DSP software is similar to OEM software however there is no manufacturer's name stamped on the manual or printed on the license. DSP software is more generic and OEM software is sold directly to the computer manufacturer. Thus the distribution channel is different for DSP. DSP software is distributed for smaller system integrators and system builder hobbyists for "clone" or no-name computers. Like OEM versions, DSP versions often come with only an electronic help manual, which is built-in to the software or a small getting-started manual. The software itself contains the same programs as the Retail Box version, except the Retail Box version normally comes with a small printed manual. Both OEM and DSP Microsoft software include a COA, which is a Certificate Of Authenticity label or sticker from the manufacturer.

Since DSP and OEM software is typically sold to more advanced users, system builders and computer consultants there is no technical support provided by the software manufacturer. However, because of the substantial support savings to the manufacturer the DSP and OEM versions are offered for sale at a significantly lower price.

Did you get a COA with both products? If so, I would hold back from trashing anything.

As far back as Office 2000 is OK apparently, but Office 97 not compatible. Office 97 is not officially compatible with Windows 7, but it might be possible to install - not all features may work though.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
    Salmon Trout, thanks for that post above. Makes clear what DSP and OEM are. :)