Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: anti-virus  (Read 7722 times)

gol

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    anti-virus
    « on: October 07, 2010, 07:55:53 AM »
    What is an anti-virus (  Internet security ) you recommend it

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: anti-virus
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »
    If for personal (non-business) use, I'll suggest avast! Free Antivirus

JIggens

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
      Avast works well and windows defender and Microsoft Security Essentials also work well if for personal use.

OpenSource

Beginner

• Certifications: List
        « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
        I suggest MSE for a free version, Prevx or Dr.Web for paid versions,  and ESET for endpoint security (although the ESET server installation configuration is a B****).

ErikAlbert

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
          I don't recommend any AV-scanner, they all suck and aren't worth the money.
          Here you can make a choice, based on tests and use only a free ADVANCED+ AV-scanner.
          http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_od_aug2010.pdf

You also need at least 2 x Anti-Spyware-scanners, like Malwarebytes' AntiMalware and SUPERAntiSpyware.
          Keep in mind that AS-scanners have a lower detection rate than AV-scanners.
          If a scanner tells you "No Malware Found", it only means that this scanner didn't detect anything, another scanner might detect malware, that wasn't reported by the previous scanner.
          The message "No Malware Found" works like a drug to make you feel good and sleep better, but doesn't mean your computer is absolutely malware-free.

If scanners were so good, why is it still raining MBAM/HJT/OTL/GMER/DDS/...-logs in this forum and many other computer-forums worldwide ?? Scanners aren't smart either, that's why they report false positives, which make scanners dangerous to use, especially for less-knowledgeable users, the majority of users.
          If you want a superclean computer, you have to do alot better than the classical security suite, which sucks anyway  :(

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:29:23 PM by ErikAlbert »
          ErikAlbert

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
          I don't recommend any AV-scanner ...
          That's bad advice.  Enough said.

ErikAlbert

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »
            That's bad advice.  Enough said.
            You need them, because you don't have anything else. I clean my computer during each reboot in 2 minuts without using scanners, cleaning software and registry software.
            It works already 5 years and I have beaten the very best scanners so far, they don't detect anything, not even a tracking cookie, except false positives.
            You want my logs to prove I'm infected ? I take the challenge. I can't read them anyway, better you than me. :)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:21:36 PM by ErikAlbert »
            ErikAlbert

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:11:21 AM »
            You need them, because you don't have anything else. I clean my computer during each reboot in 2 minuts without using scanners, cleaning software and registry software.
            It works already 5 years and I have beaten the very best scanners so far, they don't detect anything, not even a tracking cookie, except false positives.
            You want my logs to prove I'm infected ? I take the challenge. I can't read them anyway, better you than me. :)

Nobody said you were infected. How exactly do you clean "during each reboot"? you know that using a feather duster on the case during the time the machine is rebooting isn't a form of malware cleaning, I hope.

I don't use an AV scanner either (at least, not a background/automated scanner, those are annoying); but I'm not naive enough (at least, not anymore) to think that all infections can be cured with regedit in 2 minutes. Sure, you can remove pesky autorun's; but what about kernel mode rootkits that hook functions? Do you even know where to look in the registry for  that?
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ErikAlbert

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 04:04:11 AM »
              I'm not going to explain how I remove malware. Nobody believes me anyway, they don't understand my way of thinking. What else can you expect from users who don't know anything but scanners and don't believe in anything else. The security world is ruled by scanners, if somebody doesn't use scanners, he is considered as insane and not welcome. He belongs at the stake, like in the dark ages. I was recently banned from a dutch forum, because I was a troll to them.

Do you even know where to look in the registry for  that?
              No, I don't know where to look, I don't even see the difference between a good and bad object, they all look the same to me. That is one of my big problems, I don't recognize any bad object and certainly not registries, even normal registries are chinese to me. Another big problem is, where to find malware, they can be anywhere on partition-C.
              Nevertheless I found a new method, to locate malware without knowing where it is and remove it safely without even recognizing it like scanners do and without false positives. Just a matter of logical and analytical thinking.
              Explain this to a scanner-freak and he doesn't believe you and it's so simple. Simplicity is always brilliant. :)
              « Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:34:11 AM by ErikAlbert »
              ErikAlbert

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:54:01 AM »
              I'm not going to explain how I remove malware. Nobody believes me anyway, they don't understand my way of thinking. I was recently banned from a dutch forum, because I was a troll to them.

Nevertheless I found a new method, to locate malware without knowing where it is and remove it safely without even recognizing it like scanners do and without false positives.
              Well, for the rest of the world - please ignore this genius. Everyone should protect his system with a top notch anti virus utility and regular scanning with a top anti-malware utility (ie, MalwareBytes).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:34 AM »
              I'm not going to explain how I remove malware. Nobody believes me anyway, they don't understand my way of thinking. What else can you expect from users who don't know anything but scanners and don't believe in anything else. The security world is ruled by scanners, if somebody doesn't use scanners, he is considered as insane and not welcome. He belongs at the stake, like in the dark ages. I was recently banned from a dutch forum, because I was a troll to them.
              No, I don't know where to look, I don't even see the difference between a good and bad object, they all look the same to me. That is one of my big problems, I don't recognize any bad object and certainly not registries, even normal registries are chinese to me. Another big problem is, where to find malware, they can be anywhere on partition-C.
              Nevertheless I found a new method, to locate malware without knowing where it is and remove it safely without even recognizing it like scanners do and without false positives. Just a matter of logical and analytical thinking.
              Explain this to a scanner-freak and he doesn't believe you and it's so simple. Simplicity is always brilliant. :)

That's what you said, but this is what I read:

I'm not going to yippity yap about how I remove bad things, the perfect perfects and the techie scanner types have it wrong, boo perfect perfects, they don't understand the importance of my method. What else can you expect from techie scanner types and perfect perfects? Nothing, they just yippity yap about scanners. Security is ruled by scanner techies and perfect perfects. But do they let in the smart people like myself? No, I get banned from all the techie scanner forums when I show them how to jam a noodle and fix their malware issues. I was recently banned from a dutch forum. They couldn't take the truth. I love my method.

I don't know how to identify malware to remove, but I can remove it using my new method, it just takes logical thinking, boo techie scanner types. Boo perfect perfects.

Maybe you can get your method build into a program, like SSDS by spectateswamp Hard to say what the techie scanner types might do. Time for a showdown.

ErikAlbert

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
                I'm not going to yippity yap about how I remove bad things, the perfect perfects and the techie scanner types have it wrong, boo perfect perfects, they don't understand the importance of my method. What else can you expect from techie scanner types and perfect perfects? Nothing, they just yippity yap about scanners. Security is ruled by scanner techies and perfect perfects. But do they let in the smart people like myself? No, I get banned from all the techie scanner forums when I show them how to jam a noodle and fix their malware issues. I was recently banned from a dutch forum. They couldn't take the truth. I love my method.

I don't know how to identify malware to remove, but I can remove it using my new method, it just takes logical thinking, boo techie scanner types. Boo perfect perfects.
                I certainly love the method of forums too, which goes like this :
                Did you run your AV-scanner ? Yes, it didn't help.
                Did you run MBAM ? Yes, it didn't help.
                Did you run SUPERAntiSpyware ? Yes, it didn't help.
                Did you run ........... ? Yes, it didn't help.
                OK. Give me your HJT/OTL/GMER/DDS/whatever-logs and wait ...
                OK. Do this, this, that, that and also this and that and give me your HJT/OTL/GMER/DDS/...-logs again just to be sure it's fixed.
                OK. Your computer is clean again. Bye bye, until the next infection. Next malware-victim please and sorry for waiting.

This is really a fantastic method and keeps everybody busy for hours or even days and it's very productive :
                from clean computer to clean computer. WOW, that's amazing, getting back what you had in the first place. ::)

I don't even love my method, it's still not good enough because every software sucks, including mine.
                I'm waiting ... for a sensational improvement, meanwhile I'm looking forward to the next election of "Miss Scanner". What a comedy. Pffft.  ::)

ErikAlbert

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
                ErikAlbert, you criticize the method of forums but you have yet to explain your method.  If you think you have a better method, then explain it.  Otherwise, you're not making a positive contribution to this discussion.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
                You all yippity yap yippity yap about your scanner logs and your cleaning methods, but can you touch my method? no, my method is better, plain and simple. time for a showdown. Time for me to dance with my medicine stones. Competing products can't touch my method. Boo to the perfect perfects and their scanners. HJT/DDS/GMER cannot touch my method. Miss Scanner? She doesn't know I dance around my medicine stones, doesn't harm at all, nobody else can jim-jam malware like I can, Nobody. You jim jam your scans and you noodle your hardware, but you just go from clean computer to clean computer. boo to the perfect perfects and their techie scanners. You can get free computers from the landfill. save the earth and all that. government doesn't want you to since it supports the perfect perfects techie scanners techie security. Election time comes soon, who should be voted in? My method, but the perfect perfect techie scanner types don't want that.

P.S: I'm comparing you to Spectateswamp, BTW, you really are quite similar in spirit.

Actually, his tool claims to clean malware as well, and that nobody needs a malware scanner if  they use his "desktop search" (which I might point out cannot search for files very well at all). Perhaps you are related?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
                I'm not going to explain how I remove malware. Nobody believes me anyway, they don't understand my way of thinking.
                There are very intelligent people who browse these forums, so why not give us your way of thinking.