Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: View CD  (Read 3321 times)

Kay Wadley

View CD
« on: July 28, 2005, 04:50:26 PM »
 :-[First of all let's establish that I am a computer moron! I am running Windows XP and it has been quite a transition from 98.  I have numerous CD's with photos on them that my deceased husband had made of family vacations and the like.  I cannot get them to run.  When I try to view a CD I get a message about Adaptec.  Could someone please tutor this poor ignorant moron so she can at least see the pictures her husband left her? Any help will be appreciated.

squirrel

Re: View CD
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 06:25:49 AM »
Does your computer recognize your CD drive?
Are you able to use CD-ROMs? (put one in the drive and find out.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 06:58:19 AM »
:-[First of all let's establish that I am a computer moron! I am running Windows XP and it has been quite a transition from 98.  I have numerous CD's with photos on them that my deceased husband had made of family vacations and the like.  I cannot get them to run.  When I try to view a CD I get a message about Adaptec.  Could someone please tutor this poor ignorant moron so she can at least see the pictures her husband left her? Any help will be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

What exactly is the error message you are being given?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 04:11:35 PM »
Load the cdrom disk and right click on the cdrom icon......chose explore.......or send them to the my pic folder.....or chose the option open with.....image.....viewer...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:12:38 PM by merlin_2 »

Kay Wadley

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 11:18:54 PM »
OK guys, this is like the 3rd time I have tried to post and I am extremely frustrated.
Raptor, thank you for your sympathies.  This has all been a lesson in frustration.
When I put the CD in and tell it to RUN drive D I get a screen that has two icons labled Autorun and udfrinst. Then a box appears that says "A disc has been inserted that requires the Adaptec UDF Reader.  This setup wizard installs the Adaptec UDF Reader for Windows95/WindowsNT. Do you wish to coninue? Yes/No?"     What?
I KNOW that there are pictures on these CD's and I know I'm smart enough to learn how to do this.  I just need a little help. Heck, it took me 6 months to figure out how to get the pictures out of the digital camera. ;)
Squirrel, I don't understand about the CD-ROM question. I am unfamiliar with the jargon. Thank you all for your responses.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 03:46:24 AM »
Try to do the following:

1. Insert the CD-ROM
2. Double click on My Computer (Or whatever other method you prefer)
3. From My Computer, right click on the CD-ROM drive icon
4. Select explore

A different folder should now open which will show you the content of the CD-ROM. Can you tell us what kind of files there are present?

When I put the CD in and tell it to RUN drive D I get a screen that has two icons labled Autorun and udfrinst. Then a box appears that says "A disc has been inserted that requires the Adaptec UDF Reader.

Basically what it wants to do is install a certain tool that allows Windows to read your CD-ROM. You should try to access it with the method described above first, though.

Can you also tell us what version of Windows you are using? (E.G: Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP?)

Kay Wadley

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 10:31:05 PM »
Ya know guys, everytime I read one of your replies or try to figure out how to explain to you what is (or is NOT) going on with this problem I feel just a little more stupid.  I am almost ready to give it up.
I am running Windows XP.  The CD's I am trying to read were created on Windows 98.  When I try to read them I get a message that says I need to install Adaptec UDF Reader.  When I attempt to do that I get an error message with a numerical code, which does me absolutely no good because there is no source for finding out what the error code means.  My friend tells me that it is a formatting incompatability issue.  SO??? How do I fix it?  No one seems to know.  Thank you all for your help.  Does this information enable you to make any other suggestions?

Kay Wadley

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 11:18:13 PM »
 ;DHey guys! Just thought I would let you know that I really, really am a moron.  Adaptec would not install because my firewall was on.  DUH!  Anyway, I'm looking at pictures and am a happy camper once again.  Thanks so much for all you help.

Mac

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 02:40:24 AM »
Good news Kay, had to be something with the Adaptec UDF Reader installation.

Must be good to see the photographs again.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Mac

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 04:22:23 AM »
FYI Btw, this is what happened when I tried to install Adaptec UDF Reader.

This is XP SP2 Professional US English version with the Multilingual User Interface.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 09:24:07 AM by Mac »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 05:23:15 AM »
Good to hear you resolved the problem. Come back if you need more help!

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 06:46:48 PM »
The user is unsure.......maybe if they typed ver in the cmd prompt it would explain more|

Mac

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 03:53:10 AM »
"My friend tells me that it is a formatting incompatability issue."

Which may well have something to do with the different media descriptor put on the CD, or so they say.