Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Accessing Memory Beyond 3GB  (Read 2492 times)

analein

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Accessing Memory Beyond 3GB
    « on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:59 AM »
    Hello:

I recently upgraded my memory from 2 GB to 4GB and my OS from Windows XP Professional (32-bit) to Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). However, when I check my installed memory, it tells me that 4GB is installed but only 2.94 GB is usable. I thought having a 64-bit operating system was the only thing required to access RAM beyond 3 GB. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any guidance...

Eric

Salmon Trout

Re: Accessing Memory Beyond 3GB
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:05:27 AM »
    On board video?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
    analein, you have not said what is your motherboard and cpu.

analein

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
      Sorry about that!

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard and an Intel Core Duo Processor 6600 (2.40 GHz).

If by 'on board video', you mean integrated into the motherboard, then no. I use an nVidia Geforce 7900GS video card.

I hope that helps!

analein

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
      I have an Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard

You probably need to enable the Memory Remapping Feature in the BIOS. Try Googling for "Asus P5B 4GB enable" and you will find lots of stuff including this in the official Asus forum

To enable BIOS to correctly identify 4Gb's of RAM, go to the BIOS settings - Advanced - Chipset - Northbridge configuration and set Memory Remap to Enabled.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20070525060459859&board_id=1&model=P5B&page=2&count=20