Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: color quality is stuck on 4 bit  (Read 8896 times)

Jhyan007

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    color quality is stuck on 4 bit
    « on: October 09, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
    Hello, for some reason my computer just turned off and when it turned back on, the display screen looks weird, when i checked the resolution, it is very low and the color quality was stuck on the 4 bit..a pop-up balloon will appear stating that the resolution and depth of my display is very low and to click it to adjust them automatically but still nothing changes..in fact, when i tried to adjust the resolution and color quality higher, the monitor will turn off and will not turn back on, the led light will turn from green to orange, it's like it is in sleep mode...badly need help..tried system restore to no avail, i even went to safe mode and tried disabling the startup/services from the system config but still no help...at first, when starting the computer, the monitor will turn on normally and will display the normal windows startup ( with the windows logo.etc..), right after that, the led will change from green to orange from the monitor and the screen is black, however i know the system is still running..good thing right now, i was able to load windows normally right after windows startup, the only problem that remains is the color quality...if i attempt to change it to higher quality, the first problem will occur again..badly need help...thanks in advance..

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: color quality is stuck on 4 bit
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:29:35 PM »
    Reinstall video driver.

esvom

Rookie
      • user"user
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
    The reason that you led screen changed from green to orange is that the monitor can display that resolution.

You can change the resolution screen to 1024*768 for example, and change the color quality to 32 bits.

If you screen go black and you can't see the desktop, so restart the computer, press F8 and in the menu that will display select VGA Mode
    and change the resolution.

If the problem continue, reinstall video drivers.

esvom.

Jhyan007

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:33 AM »
      hi guys..thanks for the reply...i tried reinstalling the video card driver and the same problem occur...tried VGA mode and safe mode even did system restore to no avail..good thing it was fix now, i just took the PCI video card from the unit and turned on the computer and it works!! my pc has a built-in video card so i think it's fine that way, anyway i will only use it for surfing the net and playing music and other small application..it seems that the video card has gone bad coz when i tried to plug it back and attached it to the computer, the same problem occur and works when i took it out...

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
      Yeah, it looks like new video card is in order....

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
      Try this:
      Start - Run - Regedit

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ desktop \ WindowMetrics

On the right side look for the value: Shell Icon BPP

Double-clcik on it and set the value to 16
      Reboot