Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor doen't display.  (Read 2608 times)

Kradnostrad

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Monitor doen't display.
    « on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
    Is it due to RAM problem or Video Card prob?  My Auntie gave me their old Computer. When the computer arrived at Home, I switched it on and a long beep came up. IMy cousin told me I need to replace the ram with a higher one. The old RAM is DDR1 PC266 128mb. I bought two 512mb DDR PC2100 266Mghz. I installed it to the PC and  the Monitor does not display. I checked the monitor to other CPU, seemed to have no problem. What should I do? Buy a Video card?
             I don't know the specs of that Computer. but the mother board is Asrock. Please help me..

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Monitor doen't display.
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »
    Try troubleshooting first by reinserting RAM and Video card and make sure they are firmly inserted. Make sure the mobo is free from dust/dirt. Check for any loose and suspicious faulty cables. Try flushing out the power by unplugging power cord and pressing power button for 5 to 10 secs. Make sure all fans are running in good condition when powering on and check for any burn or disformed capacitors(blue/black beer can like). Clear CMOS battery or better yet replaced it with a fresh one. OR If mobo has solder points for clearing CMOS and reset parameters to default setup, use a paper clip to short for 3 SECONDS. Anyway, you have not mention if the computer was working when it was given or has previous overheat problems.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
      • Where we learn IT daily!
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »
    Look up the model number of the Motherboard as well and get the specs. You might be trying to install 512 ram on a motherboard that will only take 256. I'm not saying it wont, I am just saying you really need to find out what the limitations are.
    Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

Kradnostrad

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:35:39 AM »
      The motherboard is Asrock K7VM2..