Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What OS do *you* use or do you know about?

Windows (use multiple versions)
3 (30%)
Mac OS 7.5.5-X (Puma-Snow Leopard)
1 (10%)
Linux, openSolaris, or a Unix-like OS
0 (0%)
Several systems (e.g. "Unix-like OS & Windows" or "OS X & Windows") or all of the above
6 (60%)
Strictly Windows--I don't care what a Unix-like system or Linux means!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 23, 2010, 10:32:08 AM

Author Topic: Poll: List OSes you know about or what *you* use!  (Read 4010 times)

agreimann

Poll: List OSes you know about or what *you* use!
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:32:08 AM »
Please take the time to vote for your OS of choice or one that you know about. Try to come close to the options as much as you can--these options most likely won't cover *every* computer user--feel free to comment if you use Haiku or another OS if you want to. This poll is being used as I'm thinking of working on a Linux distribution--and I'd want to know who would use it or who to best model it for.  ;)

And lastly, please no bashing anyone because they use a different OS, or anything like that. Thanks. :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Poll: List OSes you know about or what *you* use!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
This poll is being used as I'm thinking of working on a Linux distribution--and I'd want to know who would use it or who to best model it for.
I don't see how this poll could possibly be used "to know who would use it or who to best model it for." 

And, besides, aren't there already enough Linux distros?  If you want to get involved in the development of a Linux OS, why not join the other developers of a certain distro in a coordinated community effort?  I believe that's how most of the Linux distros are developed.

agreimann

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:20 AM »
I apologize it took a while to reply back to you--I just let the poll keep going. Honestly, you have a good point here, however, what I mean by "who would use it or who to model it for" is how the operating system should look and act (e.g. if Windows is the primary OS that voters pick, then I'd have the UI behave like Windows and look somewhat like Windows.)

As for joining a Linux community, I have thought about and tried something like that... and I really would like to start a new one that I'd like to have portable apps run on.

Thanks for your input. It is truly appreciated--and I honestly will think about and take note of it.

papamama

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
    where can you learn enough about linux to be able to use it? and how long would it take?
    I'm afraid of the apparent complexity of the process. Maybe if I knew a bit more... and I think a lot of people are like me.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »
    where can you learn enough about linux to be able to use it?
    There are tons of websites and books. Linux for dummies would be a good first book. Here's a good website to get you started:
    http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html

and how long would it take?
    How fast do you learn?

I'm afraid of the apparent complexity of the process.
    Don't ever be afraid to learn something. Linux isn't that complicated once you get the hang of it. It's different, so it will take some getting used to.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »
    I think you'll find this poll relatively unhelpful. Most people around here, and most computer people I know in general, use or are familiar multiple OSes.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
    I think you'll find this poll relatively unhelpful. Most people around here, and most computer people I know in general, use or are familiar multiple OSes.

Yep. And if not multiple OSes, then certainly a good majority of the forum members and of general computer users have used multiple versions of a line of OSes.

Ex:
    Windows line
    Macintosh line

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.