Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Flickering  (Read 3636 times)

TaintedKiller

Monitor Flickering
« on: August 02, 2005, 09:33:40 PM »
I have a problem with my monitor. While I am surfing the internet or playing games, my monitor is unsteadily bright. It turns dark every few seconds, even when I'm not doing anything. Please help.

Raptor

Re: Monitor Flickering
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 05:57:18 AM »
  • Can you tell us what settings have recently been changed?
  • Do you have both an onboard and expansion video card?
  • What is your refresh rate set to?
  • What type of monitor do you use?
  • How old is the monitor?

squirrel

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:57:35 AM »
1) Sometimes the inside of the monitor has a problem. Test to see if it is a monitor issue by following these steps: a)Turn your monitor OFF
          b)Disconnect monitor from computer, leaving the power cord connected to the monitor.
          c) Turn the monitor ON. You should see a thingy telling you to check the signal cable. If your monitor behaves as it has been, this may indicate a monitor problem. If not, reconnect everything.

2) Make absolutely certain you have compatible hardware.

3)Make sure your drivers are correct.

TaintedKiller

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 10:29:20 AM »
Ok, I did what you said and found out it is a monitor issue.

I have a Radeon 9600. For my monitor settings, I switched from 60 to 85 Hertz (safe) for my refresh rate settings. The monitor is CRT, and I dunno if this helps but I use PowerStrip which let's me adjust the brightness and contrast because the monitor is too dark.

Thanks for the help squrrel and Raptor.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 02:10:31 PM »
Do you need further help or are you replacing the monitor?

TaintedKiller

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »
No, I'm on a limited budget right now. Is there anything I can do without having to replace my monitor? Thanks.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »
Without Powerstrip, will the monitor become very dark? Has this always been a problem or has it started over the years that you have had the monitor?

Can you test the monitor on another computer to see if it exhibits the same signs?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:55:49 PM by Raptor »

TaintedKiller

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 05:43:02 PM »
yeah, without powerstrip the monitor is really dark. It just started happening yesterday morning. It was working perfectly fine before that. I got to try the monitor on another computer and I still get the same problem.

squirrel

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 05:45:05 PM »
Can you borrow a monitor for now until you can replace the one you have now?  :)

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 06:01:32 PM »
Has someone altered the settings on your monitor.....the button on the front.....the power strip is it a surge protecter//or a mains extension lead!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 06:16:56 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 08:04:01 PM »
Has someone altered the settings on your monitor.....the button on the front.....the power strip is it a surge protecter//or a mains extension lead!

Note the capital letters used. PowerStrip. Not (a) power strip.

yeah, without powerstrip the monitor is really dark. It just started happening yesterday morning. It was working perfectly fine before that. I got to try the monitor on another computer and I still get the same problem.

Has the monitor always been dark? If it has slowly become more dark over the years, it could simply be giving up the ghost.

You should test it on another computer to make certain it is the monitor and not software and/or hardware.