Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Oooops! Friend does not hate me yet  (Read 2325 times)

debo0648

Topic Starter

Starter
    Oooops! Friend does not hate me yet
    « on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »
    I screwed up a friend's XP pro and when using F8 key after F8 I select Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Then as follows get a list of files which after a short time screen turns into a dialog box with sign-in and password. Just go through that and a new screen comes up with several lines the last being C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>. At the sign '>' you type dir you get a list of about five lines-directories. If you type 'command' you get not recognized as a system command.
     ???How can I get back to a point where I can restore the system I screwed up? How do I get to restoreing or recovering his Windows? :-X
    Thank-you
    debo.
    It ain't so easy to drain the swamp when you're up to your *censored* in crocodiles.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Oooops! Friend does not hate me yet
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »
    1. Can you boot to windows normally?

2. If not, can you boot to windows via safe mode (either the normal or the one with networking)?

If you can, you might try the system restore if there's restore points available.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
    Tell us the entire story. What happened?

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
      You should just be able to restart the computer if you're stuck in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt."  Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.  If that doesn't work, then hold the power button for 10 seconds or so, and then turn it back on.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.