Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cleaning CPU/Heatsink  (Read 27978 times)

Raptor

Cleaning CPU/Heatsink
« on: June 21, 2004, 03:02:48 PM »
What type of cleaning liquid is best to be used for cleaning the CPU/Heatsink?

And what is the proper way of doing so?

Joleen

Re: Cleaning CPU/Heatsink
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 04:50:59 AM »
Better Homes and Computers isn't going to visit your house.  I'd just blow the inside out to free it of dust and leave it at that.

Lolly

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 05:08:45 AM »
Better Homes and Computers isn't going to visit your house.

Joleen, Ive read many of your comments over the last few days and feel you're very very sarcastic and at times down right rude. I know none of them have been directed at any of my posts but I feel others might be easily offended by your tone.  Am i just taking your sarcasm the wrong way????

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 05:10:52 AM »
Yes.

Lolly

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 05:12:40 AM »
Yes.

Ok, i'm not. That one word answer just proved my point -n/m on this.

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 05:13:19 AM »
I just remove the fan and use a brush to remove the dust, and a vacuum to evict it from the case. After cleaning the fan blades, I remount the fan.

If you have severe 'baked-on' contaminant problems, get some alcohol to clean the heatsink and fan, and some heat sink paste to recouple it to the processor. Remove the fan and heatsink from the processor, disassemble, clean the heatsink and fan, reassemble fan and heatsink assembly, wipe excess or dried paste from the processor, put a dab of new paste on the processor, and re-install the heat sink assembly.

Joleen

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 05:26:42 AM »
This forum doesn't have polls but everyone is welcome to send me a pm requesting I either change my nature or continue on as my sweet self.  Members requests only.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 05:27:04 AM by Joleen »

Lolly

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 05:32:10 AM »
This forum doesn't have polls but everyone is welcome to send me a pm requesting I either change my nature or continue on as my sweet self.  Members requests only.

I'm not starting a huge debate joleen. Do you understand that i said it because others might find it offensive? I certainly felt that if some of your comments were directed at my posts i would feel uncomfortable, thats all im saying. 2 people that i know personally have been on here & mentioned it to me..
Don't want computerhope losing potential members because of your tone. Think i've enough said..

Lolly

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 05:33:52 AM »

I'm not starting a huge debate joleen. Do you understand that i said it because others might find it offensive? I certainly felt that if some of your comments were directed at my posts i would feel uncomfortable, thats all im saying. 2 people that i know personally have been on here & mentioned it to me..
Don't want computerhope losing potential members because of your tone. Think i've enough said..

Oh and i forgot to mention, i dont think anybody here would PM you saying they didnt like their nature. Not many people like upset in a camp (which im not trying to cause) i'm just writing what i feel..

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 05:49:21 AM »
If you have severe 'baked-on' contaminant problems, get some alcohol to clean the heatsink and fan, and some heat sink paste to recouple it to the processor. Remove the fan and heatsink from the processor, disassemble, clean the heatsink and fan, reassemble fan and heatsink assembly, wipe excess or dried paste from the processor, put a dab of new paste on the processor, and re-install the heat sink assembly.

This is what I meant, thank you MalkTous. I am doing as you said, I bought Arctic Silver and I will soon reinstall the Zalman cooler.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 06:02:58 AM »
Better Homes and Computers isn't going to visit your house.  I'd just blow the inside out to free it of dust and leave it at that.

Not quite the answer I was looking for. I donot think a vacuum cleaner involves cleaning liquid. Unless you have some kind of obscure and lustful hobby concerning vacuum cleaners and liquids.

Joleen

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 06:09:21 AM »
I donot think a vacuum cleaner involves cleaning liquid.

Steam cleaners.  I have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner with a washer attachment.  Not exactly a fetish but good nonetheless.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 06:11:20 AM »
I donot think it is advisable to use a steam-cleaner to clean your CPU. Unless you like fireworks and leave the power on.

Anyhow, you got me.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 11:57:31 AM »
    Raptor.....I still like the CPU cleaning method posted here not too long ago .......he uses his leaf blower......says it works great especially if there are any leaves.......LOL .....But somehow I dont think "Martha" would approve......let alone Good Houskeeping....and BTW .....they cancelled his subscription........

We are way off topic.......

dl65  8)  8)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 02:34:52 PM »
    but yourself a can a pressurizied air and unplug pc from the mains before hand ...
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 02:35:13 PM by merlin »