Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Graphics Card?  (Read 1885 times)

Rickmasta

Help with Graphics Card?
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »
OK guys, so I'm not too sure what's going on, so I need a little guidance on what I should do. I'm not sure if the issue is just with my graphics card, or if it's with something else.

Ok, so guys, I have two monitors connected to my PC, and over the past about 3 days, the dual monitors have been acting funny (only one monitor starts when I start my PC, then I set the two, then when I restart, it goes back to one monitor), but that's not the real problem.

Yesterday (10/15/10), when I got home, one of my monitors had red and white lines going all over it, you could not see anything, my other monitor wasn't connected. So to check that it wasn't the monitor itself, I cicked the menu button on it, and the menu came up perfectly. To check that it wasn't the cable or the adapter that I have connected, I disconnected that monitor entirely and restarted the computer, so my second monitor now started up, and it was working perfectly (at this point, I was convinced that it was the cable or adaptor that I had connected to the first monitor.

Well, I fell asleep, now that I wake up, my computer is the same exact way. So then I figured that it HAD to be the computer..

Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be? (Maybe I'll have to change the Graphics card, ect)

I took some pictures and a video (at this point, I had both monitors connected) ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nDKZ7XLvg

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Help with Graphics Card?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »
What's the make and model of your computer?  What graphics card to you have in it?  Do the graphics card have its own fan?  Have you opened the computer and verified the fan is working?  Do you have any temperature monitoring software so that you can see your CPU temp and other temps?  Does your computer have a lot of dust inside?  How long since you cleaned it on the inside?

mannsupreme

Beginner
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Help with Graphics Card?
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »
    this used to happen to an old computer of mine a very long time ago, i think the graphics card was an Nvidia VooDoo or something. at random intervalsit would come up with a screen exactly like yours. even at this time that computer was very old and chances are the grapics card was damaged because of excessive heat since it didnt have a fan. we had to buy a new grapics card but instead we brought a new computer. if your computer is a newer model then there might be a solution so dont worry but if its a very old system it may be too late
    Why did the lion get lost?
    Because jungle is massive!