Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstalled Vista on dell, can't get online to download drivers.  (Read 11457 times)

LeeBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi, guys. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 on Vista 32bit and for some time now, It has been running slow and maybe I have a mother board problem but I thought reinstalling
    Vista to the factory settings would be a good idea to see If that helps. So I reinstalled Vista with the reinstallation DVD. It worked but now I have a new problem.
    I have problems with the dell drives. (No touchpad, Internet ect)
    I open Device Manager and get a yellow triangle with an (!) on the following
    Display adapters = Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
    Other devices = Base System Device - Base System Device - Base System Device - Ethernet Controller - Network Controller - Video Controller
    So I went to my other computer to go to dell website and put my tag number In an downloaded all the drivers to an external hard drive.
    Putting the external hard drive In the laptop with problems thinking I could double click and Install the drivers. But get the message
    Application download did not succeed, check your network connection, or contact your system administrator or network service provider.
    The only discs I have for my laptop are Microsoft works 9, Dell MediaDirect 3.5 and Windows Vista home premium 32bit.
    I called Dell thinking I still had warranty but got told It had ran out and got put to the warranty expired people who told me my problem would be fixed In 15 minuets but would cost £69.99. I really think £70 for 15 minuets Is a bit much so hope you guys might be able to help me out.
    Sorry for the long post and thank you for any help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Reinstalled Vista on dell, can't get online to download drivers.
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »
    There is no reason you shouldn't be able to download the drivers on any system. Try again. Once you're successful, install the chipset driver first followed by the others.

Remember,  you can always download the drivers on a different computer and copy them to a flash drive.

LeeBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »
      Thanks for your reply.

Like I said, "So I went to my other computer to go to dell website and put my tag number In an downloaded all the drivers to an external hard drive.
      Putting the external hard drive In the laptop with problems thinking I could double click and Install the drivers. But get the message
      Application download did not succeed, check your network connection, or contact your system administrator or network service provider."

I really am stuck here.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
      I read what you said. And I said it should work and you should try again. The download process from the Dell Driver Download site should be very straightforward - I've done it literally dozens of times.

LeeBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
        I can not go online with the laptop In question so I have to go online with a different laptop and put the files on a flash drive but I still can not open It In my other laptop. I have been trying for over 11 hours to sort this out but am still banging my head on the wall.

Thanks for your reply.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:23 PM »
        Okay, now I'm confused. First you say you're getting an error that says the download failed and now you're saying that you can't "open it in my other laptop".

Please explain EXACTLY what is going on. Thank you.

LeeBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
          Okay, now I'm confused. First you say you're getting an error that says the download failed and now you're saying that you can't "open it in my other laptop".

Please explain EXACTLY what is going on. Thank you.

The laptop In question has missing dell drivers, I can not go online with that laptop to download and Install drivers from dell so I go on another laptop to download the drivers I need and put the downloads on a flash drive. I put the flash drive with the downloaded drives to the laptop that has driver problems. The problem Im having Is when I open the downloaded files my laptop will not open them and gives me the error message.

I am hoping that makes more sence. Thanks for your reply.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »
          So you have successfully downloaded the drivers and copied them to the flash drive, is that correct?

Your next step is to copy the files to the other computer. Do not try to run them from the flash drive - just copy them to the laptop with the problem and then run them from the hd on that laptop.

Regardless of anything else, once the files are downloaded and you try to move them to another system, you should not see an error message that says the download failed.

LeeBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
            I had to download from a US site Instead of a UK site.
            I downloaded these and and now only have 3 problems let.

Notebook System Software
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/utility/Dell_S...05_R259999.exe

Chipset:
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R166187.EXE

Video:
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R180254.EXE

Lan:
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R167854.EXE

Audio:
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R218148.EXE

Modem:
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/comm/R150152.EXE

Card Reader:
            ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R166188.EXE

These are the problems I have left.

1)Base System Device Code 28
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_022F1028&REV_12
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_022F1028
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&CC_088000
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&CC_0880

2)Network controller Code 28
            PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_000B1028&REV_01
            PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_000B1028
            PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_028000
            PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_0280

3)DVD/CD-ROM drives = Base System Device Code 31 (This device Is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.)
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_022F1028&REV_12
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_022F1028
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_088000
            PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_0880

Also my touchpad Is still not showing.

LeeBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
              Thank you for your reply, see link http://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...ml#post2954763

I have sorted It. Will Bill did but thanks for helping.